Author Topic: 6 v lucas regulator  (Read 2103 times)

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
Re: 6 v lucas regulator
« Reply #30 on: 08.08. 2020 10:01 »
A few years ago I had a problem with a new repro Lucas regulator that would not charge after I fitted it. I checked the dynamo and that was fine so I took the cover off the reg box and ran the engine to check the points. All worked OK and it was charging, great I thought. Put cover back on and she stopped charging again. The problem was that 1 of the connections to the coils inside is very close to the side so when the case is fitted it shorts out. The fix I did was to line the inside of the case with insulation tape and all was fine. I have had another one with the same problem and I remember a number of others on the forum reporting the same.
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 08.08. 2020 10:05 »
I've bought a couple of bikes which came with Taiwan copies of Lucas regulators, and I still can't believe that anyone would bother to make such a piece of poorly-made shite.
Best to gut them and fit a DVR2, though the case isn't even a good copy of the original.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 08.08. 2020 10:38 »
It may well be the regulator, but as tumble says, it'd be a shame to buy / fit a new one and find the problem still persists. I'd be tempted to take a couple of temporary wires straight from dynamo to reg, earth and battery. A clip-on ammeter (or spae ammeter) or multimeter on battery would save the hassle of going through the existing ammeter and would prove the point fairly quickly. Also, make sure dynamo is actually earthed to the frame, not insulated by paint.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #33 on: 09.08. 2020 09:03 »
Thanks  folks , much appreciated .  tw
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 09.08. 2020 09:12 »
If you can afford it I suggest getting the DVR2. They are a fit and forget item. I have mine hidden inside an old reg case.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #35 on: 14.08. 2020 14:53 »
Hi everyone , in the box of old bits i got     when i first obtained my A10  (a basket case)  a few year ago now  there was a very battered looking solid   state reg with no connections on it it was a 12v anyway so i discarded it . the other day in desperation i  dug out this old reg  and connected it up as you all described and it works perfectly and charges well ,  i am very sorry for leading you all the wrong way please accept my  apologies , one good thing is  i have learned a lot about regs thanks to you all .   so all the time it was a duff reg a was sold i was trying to keep it near to original  . thanks again to all you good chaps   .  tw
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.