Author Topic: Plunger Springs  (Read 735 times)

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
Plunger Springs
« on: 17.06. 2020 08:07 »
Hi all,
Just wondering if someone can tell me if I have the right springs for the Plunger units?
The bloke in Germany from whom I bought these said they were suitable for A10's, but I'm having my doubts.
I had to more or less bind both springs right down to get them into the frame. Have got the proper service tool, so other than a bit of faffing about, I got them in ok.
I'm worried that the bottom ones are bound up...?
Does anyone have the correct spring lengths? Not that I'm keen on taking them out again. The amount of tension in there should pretty well launch them into low orbit  *eek*
Cheers
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

beezermacc

Re: Plunger Springs
« Reply #1 on: 17.06. 2020 08:30 »
Sorry but they don't look right.

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.06. 2020 08:39 »
    Parts List indicates one set of springs for all applications. So the question is how accurately these springs compare to the originals.

The lower springs will be more compressed, being weaker and the uppers will have no trouble compressing them unladen as  the uppers are strong enough to support the loaded weight of the machine and  still offer limited suspension. Lowers are just rebound springs. With the machine on its wheels there will be space between the coils of both springs.

With a bit of luck someone has a spring set handy to measure.

Swarfy.

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 21.06. 2020 23:42 »
Had search around on ebay, and one of the bigger sellers had some springs for sale. Amazingly enough, one of the photo's had the measurements. So long story short, mine were all 25mm longer than what they should've been. So out with angle grinder and cutting disc. Went together way easier, and look better than what they did...ie: actually got some movement there now.  *smile*
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online MikPowl

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 28.01. 2021 19:54 »
Hi, SuperFlash - is that a Super Flash you're working on?  If so - snap!!  Are tere many loose is Oz?

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 29.01. 2021 03:58 »
Gidday mate. Yep mine is a SF. But not being built to original. I believe there are a few SF's in Oz. How many exactly I couldn't tell you. Apparently mine was the 1st into Australia. Cheers
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online MikPowl

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 29.01. 2021 11:14 »
Good Stuff!   Mine is a late '54 that I found in the police pound in Hong Kong, one of the last 10 made. If by 'not original condition' means you're going to chuck away the strange rear guard stays. let me know! Mine are missing and I've got to get some made.

Offline Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 31.01. 2021 05:51 »
Hi Superflash, I just found some spares I have, all 4 measure about 6.25 inches.
Hope this helps, from memory the ones I put in are the same length also, and easy enough to install.

Thomas.
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one