Author Topic: Colisbro valve guides  (Read 737 times)

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
Colisbro valve guides
« on: 18.06. 2020 21:00 »
Just purchased a set of colisbro valve guides and plasma hardened valves for my 62 super rocket from SRM the valve guides don’t fit over the valves these are not installed it’s the way they came ....need approx another half thou honed out of the guide Id .
Does any one know of a hone for this material and where I might be able to purchase one .
Tia
Sean
Ont Canada

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Colisbro valve guides
« Reply #1 on: 18.06. 2020 21:06 »
Hi Sean
Its probably not feasible to buy a Sunnen hone for just one job, You need to find an engine shop that already has one and the expertise to use it properly
The guides will shrink some more after fitting to the head,
Do not fit them cold, heat the head to 200degC and freeze the guides overnight in the freezer

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.06. 2020 23:06 »
What do SRM advise?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 20.06. 2020 00:10 »
take it to an engineering company that can hone them....... they  dont sell hones
I live in Rural Ontario Canada no one here even knows what colisbro is .

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 20.06. 2020 12:49 »
Waiting to hear back from a company in USA called MSC apparently they carry lots of hones and reamers... colisbro is used in some car valve guides mostly high end sports cars etc

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 10.07. 2020 06:43 »
Hi Sean
You might try Herb Becker in Kitchener, Ontario. He's a retired machinist. For the last fifteen or twenty years he has been building racing Commando engines, land speed racers etc.
He definitely knows what to do with your valve guides. I'm not sure if he is taking work on, but if not, he could probably recommend someone who can. Ontario has a strong vintage Bike community.
The other call you could make is to Mike Partridge , owner of Walridge Parts in Ontario.

In Woodstock Ontario, Bruce Chessell operates Triton Machining. He's well known for Amal carb resleeving but also does full motorcycle engine machining and rebuilding.
He recently notified the Norton site the he was back at work after several years off. ( His wife passed)

bchessell132@gmail.com

Glen

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 10.07. 2020 13:28 »
thanks for the reply Glen I know all 3 of them not sure if Herb is still doing anything with motors .
Bruce Chessel did a fine job on some commando exh spigots for me never met him.... did it all through internet he told me where he lived I dropped the heads off in his back porch ......he e mailed me when they were done and told me to put the money in an envelope and put it in the mail box in his front door ....not many trusting people like that around any more .
I have a friend in Hamilton Don Morris he builds harley race engines been doing it since the 70s I am sure he has come across colisbro as he does other makes .
only need 1 thou taken out of the intakes and 1and a half on the exh guides they are almost size for size with the valve od but I need the valve seats cut again as I am putting in the 1.5 intakes so he has the tooling for that