Author Topic: Mainshaft bearing retaining snap-ring help  (Read 1070 times)

Offline ADP91

• Moving Up
Mainshaft bearing retaining snap-ring help
« on: 02.07. 2020 23:26 »
Hello all,

I'm nearing the end of my gearbox rebuild and I am having trouble reinstalling the two snap-rings/circlips that retain the two mainshaft bearings.

Is there a trick to getting these back in? I've tried inserting one end and using pliers to try and 'pull' the other end around without any luck.

Any advice is appreciated!

A

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Mainshaft bearing retaining snap-ring help
« Reply #1 on: 02.07. 2020 23:36 »
I've only done this one time, but my distant recollection is working one end into the groove and then working it the rest of the way around by hand. I have a feeling I might be leaving something out, like screwdrivers as levers. Now that i've spewed off, someone who did it yesterday will be more help.

Richard L. 

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 03.07. 2020 07:36 »
     That's the way I did it, using a thin blade screwdriver, starting at the plain end and finishing at the cutout. Make sure the bearing is well seated and clear of the circlip groove and there are no burrs or gouges to prevent the circlip clicking neatly into place.  It is relatively easy once you get it started,  push the free end of the circlip towards the centre, easing it  over the edge of the casting and  working your way round with a combination of hand pressure on the loose end and a little help from the screwdriver. Aim for a spiral, rather than complete seating to start with and work it down towards the groove. Then a final smack all the way round with your favourite brass drift for good luck and it will click into place.

Swarfy.

Offline ADP91

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 03.07. 2020 20:45 »
Thanks for the tips! Will give them a try, wish me luck.

A

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 03.07. 2020 20:49 »
G'day A.
As above ^^ and I use a thin pick. First I use fine wet & dry to smooth off the outer edge of the clip going inwards so as not to burr the casting, also makes it a little easier.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.07. 2020 23:26 »
Hi A,
Some sprocket oil seals make it very difficult to get the circlip seated properly
The circlip must keep the seal tight to the bearing to prevent leaks
I have had to sand down the rubber facing the bearing on a few
Once in place work around the circlip with a pin punch to make sure it is fully into its groove

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline ADP91

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 17.10. 2020 03:01 »
Well after not much luck using picks and flathead drivers I took a more drastic approach that paid off.

I carefully drilled a 1/16” hole in either end of the circlip and used snap ring pliers. Worked like a charm! I would definitely recommend it, seems like the clips should have come that way from the factory..

A

Offline Bee-Za

• Moving Up
  • Over 60
« Reply #7 on: 18.10. 2020 18:29 »
Hi ADP91
From your photo of the inner cover. Do you have a rough thickness of the thrust washer which sits against that bearing. like yours my shaft ends with a thread for a nut. Does your nut sit completely flush with the shaft end when tightened up with the tab washer. Mine has the nut hanging off the shaft by approx 2 threads
1960 A10GF

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 18.10. 2020 20:16 »
Something not quite right here, like the pinion not in the right place on the shaft, mainshaft not passing through the bearing as it should, a plain washer that is too thick, or a kickstart ratchet inner bush slightly too long. All assuming they are the right parts to start with.

Have a look at recent posts showing the correct location of the mainshaft pinion on the shaft, make sure the shaft with pinion is seated next to the inner race using a spacer tube and the nut to draw it through. Don't use the soft bush, it will bell out. Having said that the shaft should be just a push fit through the race with just a light tap to assist. The mainshaft needs to come out to check the pinion has been pushed on up to the circlip. The nut should go well onto the thread with room for a tab washer as well.

Swarfy

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 18.10. 2020 20:48 »
The nut should be like this when fully tightened.

ironhead

« Reply #10 on: 18.10. 2020 21:58 »
Make sure the ratchet spring is not trapped between the bush & washer at the bearing end.

Offline Bee-Za

• Moving Up
  • Over 60
« Reply #11 on: 19.10. 2020 10:33 »
Tonight I’ll remove the inner cover and remove the 4 studs. Then put main shaft into the inner cover and fit spring, washer Etc and tighten nut. This should give me a size to measure between the inside of the inner cover and the main bearing
1960 A10GF

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #12 on: 19.10. 2020 13:21 »
just a thought Bee-Za are you putting the washer against the bearing inner or outer? it goes on the outer then bush and spring etc

Offline Bee-Za

• Moving Up
  • Over 60
« Reply #13 on: 23.10. 2020 10:16 »
Yes that’s the order I’ve now fitted it. I’ve now to make up the tab washer for it.
Has anyone got a detailed drawing of all the tab washers for the A10. I know they can be bought off eBay a set of 9 for £9. But if I’ve got the tin it’s quicker to just make one.
1960 A10GF

Offline Bee-Za

• Moving Up
  • Over 60
« Reply #14 on: 23.10. 2020 10:22 »
I’ve got a digital micrometer to take the sizes I need but if anyone’s got a drawing for future rebuilds. Maybe an idea to add it as a sticky under tab washers
1960 A10GF