Author Topic: Kickstart bush  (Read 547 times)

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Kickstart bush
« on: 18.07. 2020 12:27 »
I have obviously used too much force removing and replacing the Kickstart spindle bush, 67-3151.  I am putting the outer cover back on and finding it very hard.  Suspecting the kickstart shaft was sticking, I removed the outer and inner cover and true enough this was very tight getting worse the further it went in.  Suspiciously the end of the kickstart shaft has been damaged and dressed so this could be causing problems although the very hard shaft is unlikely to deform. See photo.

My first idea was to file the bush with a round file. After all the kickstart does not spin that much and a poorly fitting seat/bush should not be a problem. If I buy a new bush I can only hope the shaft is ok.

And another problem?
The Kickstart quadrant may be missing a tooth.  See second photo.  Can I get away with this or do I need a  new quadrant?

I am suspicious that the quadrant is not in the right position on the shaft. See third photo.  Obviously there are several position it could be in.  How do I know if this the right position?

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: Kickstart bush
« Reply #1 on: 18.07. 2020 13:10 »
erm yes it has been damaged, I have just looked at my spares and your parts are in the correct position , the lead tooth looks like it has been ground in the past possibly because it was jamming.

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.07. 2020 14:06 »
 Kickstart quadrant shaft just slips into the bush in the inner cover, so there is something amiss with the relative shaft/bush ID sizing. Maybe a trick of the light, but that quadrant and its teeth don't look to me like the usual parts. Have a look at published images of the genuine article. The poorly ground off tooth makes me think a spurious part has been modified to fit.

Swarfy.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 18.07. 2020 14:32 »
still on my old phone so pic might not be very good-----a bit like me, this is one of my spares from the bit box

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #4 on: 18.07. 2020 15:24 »
Not sure it is the wrong piece just an abused one. It has 16 teeth including the removed one.  I think I have deformed the bush.

1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 18.07. 2020 19:43 »
 JH....   Usual trick with bushes in alloy is a little bit of heat. My preference in Summer is the gas barby,   Winter (when SWMBO is absent) it's the domestic oven. Nice and hot 'til spit dances, a gentle tappy-tap on the bush with a well supported  casting and out they come.  Meanwhile put the new bush in the freezer beforehand for a couple of days. The less violence on these fragile neolithic castings and bushes the happier they are. Ice cold bush, hot casting, easy replacement.

Now you know how the other half lives. Piston pins....easy out with a hot air gun. Murder tight  PRV ?... use a good fitting socket and again the hot air gun, not the ill fitting open-ender or worse, the hammer and drift.

So somehow the bush and shaft don't match. If you have one, try an oilstone on the shaft end, it's much gentler than going at it with a file.  Removing the bush as suggested will enable easier access to rectify  any deformation, it is not such a critical bearing but even so may require replacement depending on the type of damage.

If you are sure the quadrant is correct, grinding away that first molested tooth to the original start profile a la bergs is an option.

Swarfy.

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 19.07. 2020 21:49 »