Author Topic: armoured oil feed pipe  (Read 313 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
armoured oil feed pipe
« on: 06.08. 2020 17:06 »
Hi ,  everyone ,   my a10 has armoured oil lines  i want to fit a anti wet sump valve in the feed pipe ,    can one be fitted in armoured pipes ?  Thanks   tw
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: armoured oil feed pipe
« Reply #1 on: 06.08. 2020 17:29 »
 TW  The answer is yes. But before you do have a look in the Forum as this has been well documented and opinions are certainly divided Yes/No. The valve operation depends on the ability of the pump to exert enough suction to overcome the spring closing the valve. The pumps are good at pumping, not so good a sucking against resistance as seen when they fail to scavenge.

The oil lines are armoured more for protection rather than to withstand internal pressure. How you do it can be a custom armoured hose, or a simple hack about of an existing hose.

I'll put my hand up and say I reckon these vacuum operated valves are not a good idea, I prefer a sump drain plug and minor pre-ride inconvenience. At worst you know the pump is primed and the big ends bathed in oil.

To positively isolate the tank, an On/Off oil tap linked to an ignition cut out is another alternative.

So you see both methods carry some risk, either failure to operate or memory lapse.

See what other folks think before you reach for the knife.

Swarfy.

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
Re: armoured oil feed pipe
« Reply #2 on: 06.08. 2020 18:32 »
Thanks Swarfy, wise words i will think about this one :!
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.