Author Topic: Fixation from the spindle of the front wheel  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
Re: Fixation from the spindle of the front wheel
« Reply #45 on: 01.07. 2020 02:09 »
that's a good pickup John/RD, good call  *clap*  *bright idea*
if the sleeve can be loctited back in place that's a great start but its unlikely to be a robust joint after its been wobbling about for a while, so will still need a mechanical "hold" of some sort to stop it walking out again if/when the bond breaks - I know drilling and threading the centre for a bolt could weaken the axle a bit, but realistically a high tensile fine threaded bolt of a smallish diameter with thread length inside the axle of only say 20/25mm (ie within the length of the slider bush) with a big washer, in conjunction with the loctited bush and the clamp bolt on the other side should be reasonably robust I would have thought. It wont have much tensile load on it, more of a location holder, so could be just 8mm ish, just to inhibit the side thrust in conjunction with the clamp bolt on the other leg. AND, when you look at the end of the axle its already been centre bored, so wont need to be too much more than whats there already.....what do you think??

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #46 on: 01.07. 2020 09:54 »
Funny, had thought of that but didn't want to further confuse the issue. An M8 allen bolt (the high tensile black ones) would seem a good call.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #47 on: 01.07. 2020 18:25 »
just checked the spindle I stripped some threads on in 70's and dad had to make a longer one with a safety nut for it. john and rd are on the money regards the added sleeve for sure *yeah*

Offline Lippi

• Active
« Reply #48 on: 08.08. 2020 15:16 »
Hi all

First of all sorry for my late response. We removed as seen before the sleeve from the spindle. After this we pressed in and glued it with liquid metal back to the fork. Today, I had the first ride. Everything is fixed and the spindle stays where it should. I marked the position with color. If anything will move, I will see it.

Many many thanks for your patience and help

A big cheers from Liechtenstein

Lippi