Author Topic: My Golden Flash rebuild is finished!  (Read 703 times)

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
My Golden Flash rebuild is finished!
« on: 09.08. 2020 15:27 »
I am pleased to tell you that the total rebuild of my Golden Flash is now finished! It took me about two and half years to restore the bike, which I bought off eBay. It had been stored for 46 years in the back of a garage in Romford. As such, the bike was completely knackered but very original, which is what I wanted for my grand project.
It has been fun, educational, absorbing, expensive and worth every minute. I’ve still got a few teething problems and of course the dreaded Covid-19 has changed my return to the road plans, but hey, I’m still well and one particular plunger-framed 1954 BSA A10 has returned to the road!
I thought it would be useful for this great and informative forum to list the main things that I’ve done (and had done) to the bike, and I’ll expand on any of these things on request. I wrote most things down and took lots of photos, because my memory lets me down a bit these days.
-   SRM rebuilt the engine. It had new liners fitted because the originals were worn beyond the possibility of a rebore. I had standard pistons on Thunder Engineering conrods fitted, as well as plasma hardened valves in lead-free seats. SRM rebuilt the gearbox as well and re-laced my wheel hubs onto new rims with stainless spokes. SRM’s work is great, but they were expensive, but in this world you get what you pay for…
-   The Dynamo was rebuilt as standard, but I went for SRM’s belt drive because I converted the bike to 12V. I removed the old voltage regulator and substituted it with a Dynamo Regulators DVR2 solid- state electronic unit
-   The threads inside my magneto and ATD were both damaged, thanks to the ‘non’-extracting nut, so I opted for SRM’s magkit, which uses a pick-up unit inside the original mag body and a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition box, connected to two mini-coils under the tank.
-   I recovered all of the original body parts, degreasing and bead-blasting them at work (I’ve retired now), priming them myself but having them all very well painted in ‘Polychromatic Silver Beige Pearl’ by Lurgy near Sandbach. I was able to reuse all the bike’s original bits like the petrol and oil tanks, the elusive air-filter/battery box, both mudguards, cow-pat nacelle, etc., most of which were remarkably rust free, but some needed filling, filing and straightening.
-   I had quite a bit trouble with my reconditioned Amal 276 carb, but I wanted to retain the original set-up rather than convert to a Concentric. So I eventually opened my wallet and bought a brand new 276 from the experts at Surrey Cycles. It was beautifully made and works well.
-   The panniers I made myself out of marine ply. It was important to me not to drill any new holes in the mudguards, so I have used all the original fixings. My indulgent indicators came from Vehicle Wiring Products and again, I fitted them without making any new holes in the tin ware.
-   I replaced nearly all of the fasteners with imperial stainless items from D. Middletons. Lovely stuff!   
-   I bought nice new exhaust pipes and silencers Armours. They fitted well without any problems. The original rusty two into one exhaust pointed to the bike’s previous life hauling a sidecar.
-   I bought many bits from Andrew Guttman at Priory Magnetos in Macclesfield – saddle, wiring loom, mirrors, petrol taps, side stand and much more. Great guy, very helpful and knowledgeable too. He is one of the main men in the Cheshire branch of the BSAOC and is on this forum too – thanks Andrew!
-   What else? Registration and transfers from the BSAOC, tools, cables and ammeter from Draganfly, fork and plunger parts from Classic bike shop, front number plate from Barleycorn, wiring products from Vehicle Wiring Products, LED bulbs and battery from Paul Goff, chain from The Chain Man… and many more.
Sorry if I have forgotten or left out anyone. I dealt with so many people and did lots of different work, so perhaps it’s inevitable, but my main help was from SRM for their excellent engine work, the Cheshire branch of the BSAOC for their friendship and encouragement, (‘Saint’ Simon McCarthy deserves my special thanks), and this A7-A10 forum for all your suggestions and experience.  I’ve already had the privilege of meeting Neil / Greybeard, but I hope to meet some more of you soon, as we return to a degree of normality with runs, events and shows starting again.
In the meantime, I will take pleasure in running the bike in. Another BSA A10 lives again!       
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: My Golden Flash rebuild is finished!
« Reply #1 on: 09.08. 2020 16:15 »
Wow, you done good, kid! I will be keen to meet you again and see the beast as soon as it's sensible to do so.  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 09.08. 2020 22:22 »
Brilliant write up thanks, its a great looking bike  *smile*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 10.08. 2020 01:38 »
G'day Simon.
What a great job mate, well done. Thanks for taking the time to give us a write up.
Now for the miles of smiles.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 10.08. 2020 15:27 »
A good job well done , looks great ,now enjoy !! *yeah* *yeah* *wink2*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.08. 2020 15:55 »
Simon, how about writing up your pannier project? I'm sure other folks will be interested.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.08. 2020 23:54 »
Amazing bike. I absolutely love it! Wondering how you get to the storage in the panniers.

Same front hub as my '55 including the chrome. Some may not go for it but I think it adds a lot. One thing I see while looking at that hub is the angle of the brake arm. Seems to be at the fully engaged angle rather than at rest. Could be the fit of the shoes in the drum or the indexing of the lever on the fulcrum pin. 

Never rode a plunger, so, jealous of the experience.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.08. 2020 09:06 »
Richard, I've never ridden a swing-arm BSA.

Simon, will you post a picture showing the front brake.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline MickFarmer64

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 11.08. 2020 09:30 »
Wow! great write up and brilliant looking bike. Well done on a superb looking restoration. 
1959 Super Rocket

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 11.08. 2020 13:27 »
Thanks guys for your lovely comments! Much appreciated.

Unfortunately I've broken my big toe so can't (or won't) move the bike at the moment, but it's nothing serious and on my left foot too, so no long term worries there!

But here's a couple of existing piccies of how the panniers open, and the front brake too. I'll happily do a piece on how I made my panniers, and would be interested to hear your views on the brake, which does work but not great yet, as I bed in the new shoes in the machined to suit hub.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #10 on: 11.08. 2020 17:53 »
Great job. Congrats+++

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 11.08. 2020 17:56 »
The front brake lever looks reasonable, (mine looks about the same) but what does it look like when operated?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 14.08. 2020 21:53 »
Front brake off and on - it's hard to see a difference, but it still stops the bike (eventually!)

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.08. 2020 09:31 »
Simon. Well impressed having followed your problems and success over time.

Something not as good as it could be with that brake.

The brake lever  clevis needs to be almost level with the edge of the backplate rim with the shoes just kissing the drum.  Maximum leverage is achieved just as the cable and lever approach 90 degrees, and the lever should never pass over this angle.

A couple of things to try.....

The lever may not have the " hex" stamped symmetrically as you would expect. Simply turning it over alters the angle. Try positioning it  on the square to point a bit lower. Thin steel sheet  packing pads between the cam and shoes  will move the resting position of the shoes nearer the drum, and old trick to get a few more miles from worn linings.

The fixed pivot is sometimes in a slotted mount. Slacken off, apply the brake and re-tighten while holding the brake on. This will centralise the shoes.

Your brake cable may need some shortening of the outer cable to allow the inner to reach a little bit further. Looking at the pictures the adjuster looks on its shortest adjustment, but the lever needs to be pointing a bit further down, as explained. An alternative is a longer fitting cable yoke from the cable nipple to the brake lever clevis.

Lots on the forum about brake set up, properly adjusted it is one of the best brakes BSA used, and will almost lock the wheel on a dry road. Does it easy in the wet.

Swarfy.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 15.08. 2020 10:06 »
Yup, my front brake is very good. I let a friend take my bike for a ride. He is used to the Ariel type full-width brakes on his swing-arm A10. My mate was impressed with the brakes on my machine

It must be a muscle memory from years ago when I rode Honda's; I often find myself coming to a stop with my left foot down, using only the front brake.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK