Author Topic: First Serious Ride after Rebuild  (Read 478 times)

Online BagONails

• Valued Contributor
First Serious Ride after Rebuild
« on: 30.11. 2021 10:52 »
Hi gang, I had to post something as I am officially chuffed to bits being back on the road after some months burning the midnight oils, waiting on parts, finding more issues and waiting again so as you can imagine, most probably have experienced for yourselves, I was very excited and somewhat daunted by the prospect of an unaided and unsupported sojourn into the Adelaide Hills for a 50 mile round trip.  As it happens I need not have worried, the old girl didn't miss a beat and we both enjoyed the ride immensely.

How satisfying is it to find you have successfully tracked down and resolved problems and can actually feel and hear the improvement. Much props and kudos to all of you guys on here who have assisted me along the way, sometimes by answering direct questions but mostly unwittingly as I have learned so much vicariously soaking up knowledge previously shared on these pages during my many searches around all the queries that arose.

So here she is, basking in the afterglow quietly ticking and cooling and amazingly with a full compliment of fluids not dropping any as yet. (20 minutes since we returned)  A stark contrast with our initial run out which resulted in epic oil loss of Exon Valdez like proportions. An update on this after an overnight in the shed parked over a sheet of clean paper  - 2 drops! Does this even constitute leakage? or am I now in the exalted gentle perspiration zone "ee she diven sweat much fer a fat lass!" Sorry I'm going on a bit but I'm actually totally amazed, I never dream't I'd see such an improvement... Although of course I may live to eat my words later but for now I'm going to enjoy a celebratory cold one and give her a wipe down with a clean rag.

List of work done to date:
Clutch/primary/ realignment/rebuild new sprockets and chain, clutch basket and machined adapter for correct alignment/ new bearings and clutch hub, old friction plates/springs reused at this stage. All set up with dial gauge. Can now find neutral easily and engage first without a crunch yay!  Cush drive, NOS bearing, spring modified for additional clearance, new retaining nut (modified). Gearbox mainshaft oil seal, final drive sprocket, final drive chain, new SRM nut with built in seal,(seems to be working) new mainshaft outer bearing to cure end float (gearbox noticeably quieter)  , new kickstart ratchet gear to match old quadrant, new home made kickstart stop and repair to housing, new gaskets as required.
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
Re: First Serious Ride after Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 30.11. 2021 13:00 »
I too can share in your enthusiasm. I too took mine out only the other weekend all  be it 4miles ( no insurance, tax or mot ) for the first time since carrying out major overhaul. It’s so satisfying when it goes nicely but soul destroying when more headaches arise.  So far so good my end and again big thanks to everyone here.  Just need some nice weather now.
Enjoy 👍🏻

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 30.11. 2021 13:26 »
Congratulations guys!  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 30.11. 2021 15:38 »
Excellent ++, looks fantastic.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 30.11. 2021 19:18 »
G'day BON.
Feels great donit  *smile*
Congrats to you and Alex.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 01.12. 2021 11:36 »
Congrats BON and Alex, a fine outcome.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline Bsalloyd

• A's Good Friend
  • Government is not the answer, it's the problem!
« Reply #6 on: 01.12. 2021 17:13 »
Congratulations, The bike looks like a great ride. This gives me hope I might finish my RGS and take it for a ride. However, no hills in coastal Texas. But, that would give me an excuse to go to the Three Sisters in the Texas Hill Country, oh darn. Enjoy your success. Lloyd L
coastal Texas
1963 Rocket Gold Star
1953 Super Flash
1953 BB Gold Star
1951 ZB34 Gold Star
1956 Triumph T110
1954  Vincent Shadow