Author Topic: Finally getting started  (Read 3092 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Finally getting started
« Reply #30 on: 22.11. 2020 15:55 »
Given that Superflash has bought the kit and the drill press, and he is not building a drag bike, and considering Trev's comment (and with no intent to contradict ideas from people more competent than myself),    seems like a helicoil for this one hole is written in the stars.

Richard L.

Offline Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #31 on: 29.12. 2020 05:43 »
Gentlemen, for your perusal and comment, 1 x finished SF motor.... Have loosely bolted on the dyno and headers just to get them out of the way. Now to start on the frame. Lugs etc for the tool box and battery tray etc. As you may have guessed, the heli-coil worked a treat. Managed to get 33 ft/lbs on the head bolts without anything going "ping"..
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #32 on: 29.12. 2020 05:45 »
Here's another one...
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #33 on: 29.12. 2020 06:23 »
Yep that is looking nice mate, which reminds me, I have one of these bikes also, that I have to get on to.
Looking good so far Superflash.
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #34 on: 31.01. 2021 03:19 »
Just about done so maybe time for some constructive criticism before we get too carried away. Things left to do include fabricating mounts for the SA exhausts, paint and wiring. Hopefully the clocks and cables aren't too far away....
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 31.01. 2021 11:31 »
My thunks, for what they are worth:
As these machines are rare I would prefer a restoration rather than a custom build.  *shh*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 31.01. 2021 12:34 »
GB It's each to his own, better a machine is brought back to use as a custom build than scrapped. But yes when machines are plentiful the odd butchered example passes unnoticed. For those seeking original examples the increasing rarity of unmolested original parts adds to their value, but only up to a point where common sense kicks in to say the cash is better spent on something else entirely. A concept lost to many latter day ebay sellers, who consider just because it is rare, it's valuable, which is not always the case.

As a build that gets my vote, it retains the essence of the design, with some clever more modern design cues.

SF.  Don't forget those all important engine steady stays. The part book lists two to the rear, 67-974/975. Can't tell if the original set up included the usual ones from cylinder head to front downtube as well. These must be true Unicorn Parts. Heard of but never seen. No doubt something will have to be fabricated.

Swarfy.

Offline Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #37 on: 01.02. 2021 00:03 »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have to fabricate the front head steadies out of some stainless tube. As Swarfy says they are some what a bit of a rarity.

Perhaps some further background is in order here. To say "restore" and/or "butcher" would be to imply there was something there in the first place.
What I started with was 2 plastic milk crates 3/4 filled with some random engine parts bought off fleabay. Probably said a lot when the seller described it as an A7 Plunger Superflash motor.....but at this point, what did I know. *dunno*

Anyhow, on receipt of said motor a minimum of research revealed I had a few A10 parts that were both plunger type, and a couple of S/A bits just to confuse things. Half of what I had went in the bin as being obviously knackered. That left me with 2 unmatched cases, a decent crank on original grind, a set of barrels 0.40 thou over, a head with no valve gear, a couple of timing gears, and a rocker box complete but full of dirt and a large dead spider... (where's that stick?). The only reason the whole lot didn't get chucked in the bin at this point was the fact that this whole SF thing was somewhat intriguing and warranted some further investigation.

Further research revealed that if I wanted to restore this back to original SF, I would need a sizable mortgage, and years of my limited time left on the planet to find all the original parts. So that put paid to that option. Given the original idea had been to build myself a Triumph or Harley chopper, the decision was made to continue down that path, but using this oddball BSA motor instead. As it turned out, the further I progressed the less I thought a full on chopper frame would do this thing justice. So things veered off on another coarse. That being to keep it reasonably period at least, but with a custom twist.

The motor at least has been built to SF spec's - with the notable exceptions being the carb and duplex primary/clutch set-ups. The rest is standard A10 GF most of which are either NOS or decent second hand, and while still expensive, are at least obtainable.

The intention here has never been about the money, or making a buck by selling it to some poor unsuspecting mug. What it has done though is given me hours upon hours of satisfaction, frustration, despair and enjoyment. Much has been learnt through trial and error. And as things have progressed I have also developed a fondness for a bike marque that in the past has never interested me in the least. And for much of that knowledge and enthusiasm the thanks need to go to your good selves.

Cheers

68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #38 on: 01.02. 2021 07:28 »
Nice one Superflash. The beast looks the DB's to me. A slightly bigger tank if mine. Each to there own and long may that be.
 *yeah* *beer* *good3* *dribble*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 01.02. 2021 08:18 »
Hi Superflash, I have way too many questions after seeing your bike.
After hearing your comments about finding the “correct..everything”, I for one do hear you well and clear.
As you know I’m in the process of building the same, however I do have quite a bit of past knowledge on the A10’s. So sourcing parts/information/etc, has been challenging throughout, for my few restorations.
I like that you had a plan and went with it, to me that’s what I want to see.
Also you have a plunger bike as your first A10, my SF is also my first ‘plunger’ model and what a challenging piece of ar$e they are, give me a Swinging Arm any day, I may change my tune one day but not today mate.
I’m interested in the rear end and how you designed the stays, also the front guard needs a front stay.
My only criticism is the tool box could be the smaller one to go with the “minimalistic”
design I guess, up to you and you can still find em.
Nice work mate and great effort so far, I also know that there is still so much “fettling” for you to do, so I hope you enjoy this one, building and then tuning and then riding.
Cheers Thomas
Hope to meet up one day
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #40 on: 01.02. 2021 19:31 »
G'day Superflash.
Great to see your progress  *yeah*
You'll love your plunger. Mine is my favourite bike.
We have another member in Brisvagus with a plunger, although he hasn't been seen for quite a while. duTch has been known to visit BJ'S (blue & red A10), you might be able to track him down.
Keep at it and post your progress.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #41 on: 02.02. 2021 04:31 »
Again, thanks for the comments and observations. Will try and address a few of them in no particular order...

I have 3 petrol tanks that I tried out for fit and looks. A supposedly A10 Plunger tank, a 3 gallon King Sporty tank, and the one I've gone with. To be fairly frank, the supposed A10 Plunger tank looked way too big and the thought Massey Ferguson sprung to mind. The King Sporty tank also looked too big and looked more like a giant turd sitting on the motor. I chose the smallest of the 3 simply because of the slimmed down look, and it allowed the entire motor to shine through in all it's glory.

The tool box probably does look a bit big compared to the rest of it, however at this stage I'll stick with it. Perhaps down the line I could maybe look at a Bantam one that appears to be a bit smaller...?

I purchased what was advertised as a RGS chrome mudguard set complete with stays from India. Basically cause the price was right..  :! I've attached another photo of the bike from another angle and you'll see what I've done with regards to the rear stays. Have also run a stiffening flat bar under the mudguard that is anchored from a fabricated mount under the regulator that I put under the seat. I was going to make something from scratch, but I was sitting there one day with beer and ciggie in hand staring at the pile of bits, and I had a bit of a light bulb moment... as you do. Turn the main stay upside down, drill hole at rear of guard, grind off lug and tidy up, and presto. Have got the front stays kicking around somewhere, and will go on once found. Cheers
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 02.02. 2021 11:48 »
Not a fan of choppers / bobbers myself, but that looks good. Right proportions, though I'd want a slightly larger fuel tank - and loud metalflake on the tanks and toolbox.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #43 on: 02.02. 2021 18:44 »
SF, that looks perfect, well thought out aesthetically. Thinking I might try some higher bars on my plunger A10. What's the tank from? Looks like a HD Sportster or similar, great fit.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Flashgreubon

• Moving Up
« Reply #44 on: 02.02. 2021 19:42 »
Congratulations, it realy is very pleasing to the eye .Tasty ,understated and just right.
Wishing you a lot of fun with it!