Author Topic: Tyre advice  (Read 1533 times)

Offline TTBen

• New
Tyre advice
« on: 14.08. 2020 10:18 »
Hi all, new member here.

I run a motorcycle tyre shop in London called Two Tyres. We also mail order around the UK.

We can get hold of pretty much any tyre that's in production (and some that aren't), so please drop me a line if you need anything or any advice and I'd be glad to help.

All the best, Ben

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tyre advice
« Reply #1 on: 14.08. 2020 10:29 »
Hi. Do you also have an interest in the BSA A7/A10?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Speedy

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 28.08. 2020 12:51 »
Hello  Ben
What tyres do you recommend for the A10, my bike has been in storage for the past 30+ years, it was fitted with Dulop TT 100 tyres. 350 x 19 inch .
I would not trust them now as they are to old for road use. Can you recommend some alternative up-to-date tyers, at a reasonable cost, that will last a few year's.
Thank you
Speedy.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.08. 2020 12:57 »
I recently fitted Mitas tyres to my Plunger A10.
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=13293.1245
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 28.08. 2020 20:54 »
The Mitas factories also make Michelin and Continental brand tyres under license so they are no mugs at the game.

Decent shout GB.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #5 on: 28.08. 2020 21:09 »
Hi Speedy.I'm running Roadriders front and rear on my A10 and v pleased with performance. The are a low profile and not really in keeping with the classic look. I tried the TT 100's on the rear and found they squared off quite quickly. There is quite a bit on tyre preferences somewhere on this forum.
 *beer* *wink2*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Speedy

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 29.08. 2020 11:48 »
Hello  Big Jim
What make are the  Roadriders,  do you have a photo of these tyres to get an idea of what they look like. The Mitas tyres look a bit like the Avon speed master's,  which always squared off and run out of tread on corners.
Do they still make the Dunlop TT100 or is the K70 similar.
Thank all of you who have replied to my post.
Speedy

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 29.08. 2020 13:17 »
Hello  Ben
What tyres do you recommend for the A10, my bike has been in storage for the past 30+ years, it was fitted with Dulop TT 100 tyres. 350 x 19 inch .
I would not trust them now as they are to old for road use. Can you recommend some alternative up-to-date tyers, at a reasonable cost, that will last a few year's.
Thank you
Speedy.

Hi Speedy, heres a thread on k70’s https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11470.0

Disclaimer, just my opinion, just an ordinary bsa rider, no particular expert knowledge, just my personal experience etc etc etc
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 22.09. 2020 02:52 »
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic-tyres-range/motorcycle

I was pushed down the path by the limitation in suppliers of 20" tyres to buy the old school avon speedmaster and SM mkII equivelent rear. Having reservations at the time these tyres are now available in excellent compounds and have the profiles the old bikes like for the road. Ok on a mid fifties Stevenage twin running well in excess of 70mph they do wear but I have been really impressed with grip and handling and have bought a speedmaster and a SM mk II for my road rocket. Certainly looks the part and those who know me will know I like to twist the throttle.

For my race A7 project I'll probably run a GP rear and an Speedmaster front in race compounds.

Just my personal preference. 
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 22.09. 2020 10:20 »
Speedy. depends on what you want and how you ride. here's a bold summary:
  • if you are a measured careful rider and budget minded rider - mitas - but don't get too excited on the twisties
  • if you like the classic look - speedmaster and k70 - but ho-hum, some moderation and self control required
  • if you like a standard profile and look with good performance try a TT100, but at the risk of a squaring off or triangular wear pattern
  • if you want performance above all else then get the am26 road riders, but with the low profile you'll lose a bit of ground clearance and they may look a bit odd on an older bike
  • if you want to classic look with performance get the race compound speedmaters/sm-II like rocket racer says, tho you'll pay a bit and they won't last long.
  • there are pirellis and metzlers and contis but its hard to find a set that will match the 19" rims of our old bikes (as far as I know)

New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 22.09. 2020 10:38 »
if you are a measured careful rider and budget minded rider - mitas - but don't get too excited on the twisties

That'll be me then.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #11 on: 22.09. 2020 21:21 »
good summary there from Mikeb. I bought an a65 with a set of mitas tyres on it and they performed in all weathers for all round riding and didnt slow me down.
I think the availability of the period profile avons in modern compounds have usefully widened the choices available.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand