Author Topic: How I made my panniers  (Read 595 times)

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
How I made my panniers
« on: 19.08. 2020 20:53 »
Hi All

Last week I summarised what I had done to my plunger framed A10 over a two and a half year rebuild. There was some interest in my home-made panniers, so here’s how I made them.

First, I should say why I built them… I saw the bike in photo ‘Panniers 0’ attached at the BSAOC Cheshire Branch camping weekend in 2018. I was just four months into my full restoration, but I liked the look of them although they seemed a bit too big for me.

Two years later, my rebuild was nearly finished but we suddenly entered lockdown. So last April, newly retired, I threw myself into ‘project pannier’. Don’t ask me why, but It was important for me not to drill any new holes in the recovered original rear mudguard to mount the panniers. So I designed them around the existing stay mounting holes.

I made the panniers out of plywood that I bought from B&Q for about £15 and cut the pieces to shape from cardboard templates with a saw and file. I’m sure that you guys have better tools – but I had a lot of time on my hands… (Panniers 1).
I used stainless studding, nuts, washers and spacers from Middleton’s, and two of their P clips with rubber liners as a third fixing point from the middle of the mudguard stay. Metric admittedly, but I used the right imperial sizes on the rest of the bike.

I also used some small metal dowel pins to fit the sections together, bought from GWR Fasteners in Oswestry

For the pannier lids I bought an universal 6” wide alloy rear mudguard from Vintagebikes.co.uk on eBay and cut it in half (Panniers 2). The hinges I bought from B&Q and the reflectors and indicators from Vehicle Wiring Products.

Then I sealed the plywood and covered the wood with black leatherette from the excellent Fabrics Trade Kent. I tried various beige samples from them first, but they didn’t quite match the colour of my bike, so I settled on ‘black marina’. This faux leather is waterproof and fireproof. I covered all the panels with just one meter of this easy to cut material, which cost me about £35 (Panniers 3) and I used Gorilla wood glue and staples to do it.

Then it was time to attach them to the bike (Panniers 4), and the wires for my electronic ignition and indicators. I designed the panniers so that I could still use the hinged mudguard to help rear wheel removal, which made routing the new wiring that much easier.

The panniers lids are held closed by trouser belts, cut in half, and attached to the alloy lid and the front panel with bolts. The BSAOC and VMCC badges secure one end of the belts, which is a method of fastening that I’ve always admired on the bonnets of vintage cars.

That’s about it. See ‘Panniers 5’ to see how they look now they’re finished. They have in them some tools, my ignition and indicator electrics, and a fire extinguisher, which I felt was prudent taking into account the fact that I’m persisting with the leak-prone Amal 276 carb. There’s room for waterproofs, spare parts, sandwiches and even a map in case I get lost.

If anyone would like more information, measurements or pictures, please just ask and I’ll be happy to oblige.

All the best from Simon
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: How I made my panniers
« Reply #1 on: 19.08. 2020 21:23 »
G'day Simon.
Well done mate, they look very professional.
Thank you very much for posting.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 20.08. 2020 00:29 »
Lovely job! I’d like to see them on a black A10.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline beesa71

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 20.08. 2020 12:45 »
First class sir. Can we have some detail pictures please of the lids, hinges, straps etc.

Paul.

Offline Whipstrut

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 20.08. 2020 19:39 »
Brilliant, and beautifully executed.

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 21.08. 2020 10:51 »
Hi All! As requested, here's some close up pictures of my panniers, showing the belts, hinges, wiring and fire extinguisher, which I hope to never use!  *smile*
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.08. 2020 17:42 »
These keep getting better and better. Love the belts, radiused hinges and the plastic liners. I assume the electrical module is the indicator flasher. Taking nothing at all away from them, I bet you already considered the possibility of some kind of fairing to reduce drag.

Richard L.