Author Topic: TLS brakes  (Read 4874 times)

Offline minibsa

• Moving Up
  • MINIBSA BRISBANE AUSTRALIA
TLS brakes
« on: 28.08. 2009 08:22 »
Hi all, has anyone any tips or advice on fitting 1969 A65 tls brake /wheel to A10 forks.
Cheers,   Bob. *sad2*

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: TLS brakes
« Reply #1 on: 28.08. 2009 08:38 »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

This has I think been covered a fair bit here, and the search facility could well prove useful.

Some A10 hubs will actually take the TLS plate with no modification. Or you can use the entire wheel off an A65.
The problem is that A10 yokes (triple trees to Americans) are wider than A65 ones.
The lug on the brakeplate can be built up with alloy weld to meet the peg on the fork leg. Or the peg on the fork leg can have a bit more metal added to it (get it Tig welded, the leg is less likely to distort from heat). The wheel spindle either needs a new groove machined in it to allow clearance for the bolts that hold it to the forks, or replaced by an A10 spindle.
I understand that people have also succeeded in fitting them by just pinching the frorks together.

I see so many A10's with '69 TLS brakes, that I sometimes wonder if there are any '69 BSA or Triumphs left that still have front wheels.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #2 on: 28.08. 2009 13:48 »
Hi Bob

I have a TLS fitted to my A10, I had the backplate slot sides ally welded deeper by a local engineering company, and they filled in the small area between the slot and the cable fixing for strength on the trust face. It only cost £25. My opinion is that this is a better engineering solution than welding to the lug - and the original can be re fitted if required.

It makes quite a difference and now feels much safer on fast busy roads. Thicker oil is required in the forks cos they dive like crazy with the better brake.

Personally, I wouldnt recommend pulling the fork legs together - it just dont seem the right thing to do.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 28.08. 2009 15:12 »
i fitted some relined brake shoes on my A10 from SRM (what they call their racing compound), retained the original looks but improved braking considerably - its still probably isn't as good as a proper TLS setup but now i am no  longer  in fear of going head first through the rear window of auto's as before *eek*

Richard

« Reply #4 on: 28.08. 2009 22:53 »
I got hold of another spindle so I could keep the original and machined a groove 1/4" in from the manufactured groove and fitted that, now if you think about it the forks will be pulled evenly 1/8" in on each leg, this will make not the slightest of difference to the performance of the forks as we all now how close the tolerences that BSA worked to.I have had no problems with mine and I did this mod some years ago.
I am just about to refurbish the forks but this has nothing to do with the TLS brake mod
Richard

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #5 on: 29.08. 2009 10:53 »
No doubt that the TLS is a very good brake as I have found on my red A10 but... the SLS on my blue A10 'can' be good also if set up correctly and with softer linings. I've no problem with my SLS at all. I'm curious though, to try the racing compound type that Mike667 mentions.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 29.08. 2009 15:32 »
ive had no probs with my sls eather since i had my drums skimed

Offline minibsa

• Moving Up
  • MINIBSA BRISBANE AUSTRALIA
« Reply #7 on: 30.08. 2009 07:22 »
 *smile* Thanks guys, all comments appreciated, I have a black A10 with sls - works fine, and a red A10 with tls-works great, BUT it is sloppy at the fork to brake plate union so I was looking to see if there was a common solution other than extending (welding) the plate or fork lug. Also there are still some 69s with tls around- I have a 69 lightning, 68 trophy, 66 thunderbird, and 71 daytona, with tls brakes.
Cheers,  Bob.

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 31.08. 2009 18:02 »
Just some FYI here to avoid confusion: I certainly can't claim to be an expert, but here are some of the things I've figured out.  A7's, A10's, A50's and A65's all used the same spacing on the fork tubes.  A BSA A65 TLS will slot right in to an A10 fork (though you will need to pack out the plate detent) while the axle on a triumph TLS will need some modification since triumphs use a closer spacing of the fork tubes.  The axles for Triumph and BSA TLS brakes are different lengths, but the rest of the wheel is the same.  Also, if you intend on using triumph shuttle valve-type fork lowers, they will not fully engage the brake plate again because of the spacing difference between the two brands.

Hope that helps.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 31.08. 2009 19:06 »
Well I stand corrected.
When I bought my front wheel at an autojumble the guy selling it said it was off his A65. So I always assumed it was A65s that wider yokes. Though thinking about it, the brakeplate it came with had been built up with weld, and he had filed a couple of grooves in the spindle.....AS HE WOULD HAVE TO, TO GET IT TO FIT HIS A65 *problem*

Well done Alex. As my boss used to delight in saying "To assume is to make an ass out of U and me"
Cheers,
Iain

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 01.09. 2009 15:41 »
No sweat, Tombeau.  I wasn't trying to chide you or anything.  Just want to make sure we don't end up in another case of internet heresay turning into misinformation.

Cheers.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 07.09. 2009 22:37 »
Hi Every One

I purchased a TLS bottom pull brake plate and hub on Ebay last year for my Super Rocket and from Beezalex comments I am sure that I have a hub from a A65 (has higher flange for spokes on the brake plate side) as its fits into the clamps spot on and the brake plate I think is from a Triumph Part No 37/1990, can any please confirm.

I plan to have slot lug extend by alloy welding 5mm and also bottom of the lug.

Also I plan to have a new rim and spokes am I right in thinking there is no offset required.

Thanks
Nick
Nottingham
England 

1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 08.09. 2009 16:05 »
Nick, FWIW, the BSA and triumph plates are identical for all I know.  Yes, you will have to extend the lug to fully engage, but this is true in any case of fitting the TLS brake to the earlier legs that originally had a full-width SLS hub.

I don't recall off the top of my head what the offset should be from the hub, but the tire should be centered in the forks.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 08.09. 2009 16:56 »
Pic of tls engaged with fork (brake plate built up)

Note still some space left in there I might drill into the fork stub, tap hole and fix an extentsion on ( at some time in the future )

interesting mention of wheel offset, I have not heard this mentioned with regard to s/a A10 front wheels or rear for that matter but I checked mine and find the front wheel is not central in the forks, about 7mm to the left looking from the bike seat, down to me I spocked the wheel, got it wrong somewhere, nothing needed taking off the spoke ends when I'd finished so I wonder if it's possible to shift the rim across ( tighten one side slacken the other ) with the tyre on - ummmm

Also pic of one small problem when fitting Goldie type mudgaued to front with TLS brake, the grease nipple for the rear brake cam fouls the mudguard stay so a tastefull bend is required and a bit of shrink wrap makes it look sort of like it's meant to be like that ( hopefully )

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 08.09. 2009 19:47 »
I used a '69 Starfire mudguard stay on mine, It has a kink to get round that grease nipple, as of course would an A65 etc....
Cheers,
Iain