Author Topic: Drive Side Outer Bearing Race  (Read 160 times)

Online Miker

• A's Best Friend
  • Rockingham , Western Australia
Drive Side Outer Bearing Race
« on: 23.08. 2020 05:46 »
Just got the engine cases split and have removed the inner bearing from the crankshaft with no problems. But I am unsure as to the method of removing the outer race from the drive side engine case. I don't want to damage anything so thought better to ask before attempting as I was unable to find an answer by searching the forum. 

Cheers Guys
Good Advice
No reactions

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Drive Side Outer Bearing Race
« Reply #1 on: 23.08. 2020 06:38 »
Just got the engine cases split and have removed the inner bearing from the crankshaft with no problems. But I am unsure as to the method of removing the outer race from the drive side engine case. I don't want to damage anything so thought better to ask before attempting as I was unable to find an answer by searching the forum. 

Cheers Guys

You definitely need to heat the case up good and hot, if its got a rubber mainshaft seal that should be removed first, from memory you can just tap it out? Obviously the correct sized drift/tool would be best to tap it out and keep it straight.
Good Advice
No reactions
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife)

Online Miker

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 23.08. 2020 07:34 »
It seems to have a shim/ oil flinger under the outer bearing race so I can't  get behind it to knock it out without damaging the shim. I have noticed two small holes in the cover under the race.  Would these be used for a small pin punch maybe?
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.08. 2020 08:33 »
    Early engines have this circular oil slinger rather than the seal. The drive sleeve  originally had a scroll to keep the oil back, some engines have the slinger but a plain drive sleeve, a sort of halfway house. Early and later crankcase primary side castings are the same and early slinger versions may be machined to take a  seal. The slinger is dished, so make sure it is replaced the same way round.

Get the case nice and hot and the race will come out with with just a little bit of a  tap. The two holes are over the outer race so heat up  the case 'til spit dances and use a punch. Replacement is hot cases, bearing race in the freezer, keep it square and it will push into place.

Swarfy.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Miker

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 23.08. 2020 09:24 »
Thanks mate, Much appreciated
 *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 23.08. 2020 10:21 »
stick it on the BBQ bearing facing up
When it gets to around 200C the bearing will usually fall out all by itself
If not grab the cases with a pair of oven mitts and tap the case down on the plate a few time , that will cause difficult ones to fall out
Good Advice
No reactions
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23.08. 2020 10:28 »
Be careful how hot you go. Don't want distortion or heat treatment abberations. I'd go for 150*C (Jaguar recommended temp for changing valve guides and valve seats in alloy heads). Treat 200 as absolute max. On of those cheap infrared thermometers is invaluable.
Good Advice
No reactions
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Miker

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #7 on: 24.08. 2020 03:29 »
Thanks everyone. Got the case around the bearing up to 100 degrees with a heat gun slight tap with a pin punch and it all fell out.
Its always good to ask for advice if not sure about something.   *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions