Author Topic: Loss of first and second gear  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Beeza

• A's Good Friend
Re: Loss of first and second gear
« Reply #15 on: 16.09. 2020 09:09 »
So I take it that this is a STD box?
So any main/lay shaft interference could not possibly interfere with gear selection!
Correct me if I’m wrong please, everyone!!
As I understand you have been able to get to the grub screw in the gear box housing by taking the entire primary side off to check the fact that the selector shaft has the grub screw and it is fitted well into it’s little slot, and punched to prevent loosening?

For this one I am very interested to
find out the cause, other than what I have previously experienced.
Big  Cheers
So So interested
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
Re: Loss of first and second gear
« Reply #16 on: 16.09. 2020 15:15 »
So I take it that this is a STD box?
Yes, correct.
So any main/lay shaft interference could not possibly interfere with gear selection!
Correct me if I’m wrong please, everyone!
All I can say is the "binding" of the very end of inner most bush on the output gear was enough to prevent getting first and second gear.  It also needed the clutch pulled in to push my bike.

As I understand you have been able to get to the grub screw in the gear box housing by taking the entire primary side off to check the fact that the selector shaft has the grub screw and it is fitted well into it’s little slot, and punched to prevent loosening?

I took off the gearbox cover and then the inner.  Could not see anything obviously wrong.  Selector shaft was not loose.  Removed the outer gear on the layshaft and still could not see what was wrong.  Only problem was I could not pull the mainshaft out of the gearbox.  Removed gearbox completely off bike.  Undid grub screw and removed selector shaft.  Pulled out all the bits I could and still the mainshaft would not slide out.  Used some delicate use of a hide mallet, managed to tap the mainshaft out of the final drive gear  Then removed final drive gear and examined the bushes.  Found the shaft would go virtually all the way in from the clutch side but not enter from the gearbox side.  Measured and looked to find the deformed end of the inner bush. 

For this one I am very interested to
find out the cause, other than what I have previously experienced.
Big  Cheers  ;)

So So interested

Reply in bue.  Hope that helps
'59 A10RR + Second engine