Author Topic: 1953 golden flash gearbox  (Read 597 times)

Offline gary

• Moving Up
1953 golden flash gearbox
« on: 01.09. 2020 23:32 »
hi. i just purchased a 1953 goldflash. i am having trouble with gear selection. first time i rode seemed like i was pulling out in second gear and only had two gears down. the inner cover has a small R on top? i just noticed today the gear selector in cover is a solid peice not like what parts book is showing.when i set in nutrol and put covers back on and go through gears next thing shifter does nothing and when i take covers off the the gear selector will not grab tooth on camplate. any thoughts greatley apreciated. thanks
Pennsylvania

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: 1953 golden flash gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 02.09. 2020 08:29 »
Hi Gary.. Looks like you have a problem, hope you didn't pay too much for this load of trouble. '53 model year should be a bike with a Plunger Frame.

The gearbox is a simple design but prone to gear selection problems due to wear on the camplate and the rocking arm that moves it. Even using gaskets that are two thick alters the geometry of the selector mechanism. One possible cause is that the box has not been assembled in neutral. This ensures camplate and selector claw at least start in the right place. The pedal should be recessed into the outer cover. On later swing arm gearboxes the pedal shaft sticks out proud of the front face.

The plunger gearbox has a splined  shaft carrying the pedal on the outside. Inside a forged member operates two opposed pedal return springs in the outer cover and a ball ended rocking claw on the inner cover. This claw engages with matching lugs on the camplate. The later swing arm gearbox is broadly similar, but the camplate and matching selector mechanism are completely different. Swing Arm camplate has toothed engagement with the rocking quadrant, the other end of which engages with a spring loaded claw on the pedal shaft.

The camplate position for gear selection controlled by a plunger in a cylindrical housing that sticks down under the box. The plunger  pressure on the camplate is adjustable by releasing the  locknut, and screwing the housing until it is at its basic setting with just a couple of threads showing.  Take it off and check the spring loaded plunger is free and undamaged. You may be able to identify the neutral notch in the camplate...its the smallest one, so see of the gears will select with the plunger removed.  The plunger aids camplate rotation, so you may have to help it with a bit of a push.

If you have to dig deeper, look for worn,damaged parts and incorrect assembly. The forged member on the splined pedal selector shaft is secured with a bolt and tab washer. This is often loose on the splines, so a source of lost movement.

The good news is that the box can be stripped down to its bare bones while still in the frame. If the box needs changing, on plunger frames its an engine out job.

Hope this helps, head over to the intro section tell us a bit more of how misfortune came your way.

Swarfy.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.09. 2020 09:21 »
Where in the world are you Gary?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline gary

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 02.09. 2020 11:02 »
hi. thanks for reply. i am in middletown,pa. the gear selector that i have looks like the newer pre-unit style  than what the original looks like . any idea what the R is for on top of inner cover?
Pennsylvania

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #4 on: 02.09. 2020 11:30 »
R = reject *eek* only joking a lot of cases were factory stamped with letters of much discussion , I have seen R-- S-- B --V --T and others *dunno*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 03.09. 2020 10:48 »
G'day Gary,  *welcome*
The thickness of the gasket between the case and inner cover makes a big difference. I battled your problem for years till I used NO gasket but just paste on that joint.
As Swarfy says if the cam plate pivot is worn it exasperates the problem. Unfortunately it's a motor/gearbox out to remedy.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.09. 2020 11:26 »
I used NO gasket but just paste on that joint.

Yes I had to go the other way and use two gaskets, always meant to investigate further maybe next rebuild

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline gary

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 03.09. 2020 17:47 »
thanks for replys. the lever that is in inner cover is not the right one with what parts book is showing i have a correct cover and gear change lever coming. i hope that is the problem. thanks again.
Pennsylvania