Author Topic: 4 spring clutch wanted  (Read 545 times)

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
4 spring clutch wanted
« on: 03.09. 2020 22:20 »
Anybody got a complete 4 spring clutch for sale please ?

Title edited, ref. board rules.
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 22.09. 2020 05:26 »
https://www.britishbikebits.com/complete-clutch-ass-bsa-a-b-swinging-arm-models
they all tend to be a bit stuffed so suggest you get a complete new set from a single supplier. other options are the Phil Pearson and BNR clutches. search the site and you'll see plenty of discussion of. As a rule of thumb all my A series have modern clutches and I personally prefer the bob newby belt drives. bob@newbyracing.co.uk
All the pre-unit clutches can be made to work including the 6 spring if you have the patience. The benefit of a dry belt clutch is they take a lot of abuse - I run one on my race sidecar and while the engines and gearboxes wear out the clutch has been maintenance and trouble free todate (a decade)
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 22.09. 2020 07:50 »
How many miles have you covered in that decade Rocket Racer, and how do you go on for a cush drive?
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.09. 2020 10:58 »
Hi All,
If searching for a new 4 spring clutch, you will find a big difference in price between suppliers, the cheap (er) clutches have inferior parts and not worth the money in my opinion *ex* *ex*

Metalflake, I posted some pictures last week of the belt drive pulley converted to cush drive by SRM,  Its a neat piece of work

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #4 on: 22.09. 2020 21:41 »
How many miles have you covered in that decade Rocket Racer, and how do you go on for a cush drive?

No idea the mileage but it would be negligible. I've worn out the engine 3 times and onto my third gearbox. The engine is just about to come down again. The engine is in a mild state of tune and on methanol
I dont run a cushdrive.
I do try and ride the bike with some sympathy so have not yet ever (touch wood) chernobled an engine but have been showered with a competitors crankshaft. I normally keep the engine around 4-5k on the starts and the bike does lift its front wheel briefly even with me forward.

I have bought a belt for my (road) road rocket and will be interested to see how the front drive survives long term.
My race crank has always had worn splines on the shaft so I do locktite the pulley on. I havent snapped it yet. 
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
Re: 4 spring clutch wanted
« Reply #5 on: 03.10. 2020 22:28 »
Bit the bullet and bought a new clutch - £315.00 - ouch !!
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)