Author Topic: Engine, magneto, dynamo assembly order  (Read 367 times)

Offline azcaveman

• Moving Up
  • Retired techo geek
Engine, magneto, dynamo assembly order
« on: 06.09. 2020 19:43 »
I'm getting close to reinstalling the engine on a 1961 A7 but not sure about order of assembly. Can I install the engine in the frame and then install the magneto and dynamo? I'd like to wait to install magneto and dynamo to reduce the weight of the engine during install but I removed them after the engine was out so I'm not sure about interference, etc.

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Re: Engine, magneto, dynamo assembly order
« Reply #1 on: 06.09. 2020 20:01 »
I put both of mine on before I installed the engine into the frame 1961 a10.  I then realised that the front engine plates need to go in before the dynamo. So I had to remove mine to get the plates in.  Getting the RHS gearbox plate in with the mag in place is a bit of a faff.if I did it again I would leave both off until the engine was in the frame.

I put some comments and pictures on this forum as I payed the engine and frame on its side. Easier then lifting.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.09. 2020 20:09 »
In a word or two...er yes.  The dynamo will pass through the front engine mounting plates from the drive side with a bit of dextrous skill.  It can be removed for servicing without disturbing the inner timing cover.  Magneto can be fitted at any time, but easier left 'til last  as noted and can only  be removed if the timing gear/ATD is taken off first.

Swarfy.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 06.09. 2020 22:34 »
I'm getting close to reinstalling the engine on a 1961 A7 but not sure about order of assembly. Can I install the engine in the frame and then install the magneto and dynamo? I'd like to wait to install magneto and dynamo to reduce the weight of the engine during install but I removed them after the engine was out so I'm not sure about interference, etc.

The answer you are after, is yes you can.
England N.W
1960 A10
England