Author Topic: cant get neutral  (Read 503 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
cant get neutral
« on: 16.09. 2020 13:37 »
Hi everyone , i have just fitted new clutch plates and now i cant get neutral with the engine running, it starts ok i get first gear with no grating ,  but then i cant go back to neutral if i put it in gear the clutch wont disengage   when i use the kickstart              ps  i havent fitted    the casing yet i have oiled the plates    Thanks  TW
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: cant get neutral
« Reply #1 on: 16.09. 2020 13:56 »
if you have got about 1/16th to an 8th of an inch free play at the handle bar leaver it sounds like your springs are tightened up too much. with the cover off undo each spring a bit until you can kick it over with the clutch disengaging freely and with the plates turning freely and as true as possible. if it is a six spring this takes time to get a good result between it finding neutral with the engine running and not slipping with a great big hand full of throttle at speed. make sure the inner and outer drums are free from burs as well. when it is set up properly and you get neutral and no slip you will be cracking brazil nuts at Christmas between thumb and fingers *clap* if it is a 4 spring it should be easy to set up.

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 16.09. 2020 14:07 »
Thanks Berger, ill do that     do you mean with the engine in gear with the clutch in         i love brazil nuts     *smiley4*

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.09. 2020 14:31 »
You oiled the plates? Taken them out and clean them.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 16.09. 2020 14:36 »
ok , i will take it all apart again ,

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #5 on: 16.09. 2020 19:32 »
tumbleweed  I mean set it up so all the plates spin free and true with clutch lever pulled in out of gear when you should hear it all clunking about , then keep kicking it over as you let the clutch out to find it's biting point where it will try and turn the engine over, then fully out and see that you have no slip with bike under compression. you can leave the cover off when trying it with the engine running. if it is a six spring you will have plenty of fun but it is possible to set up getting neutral with engine running and not slipping

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 16.09. 2020 20:18 »
Thanks ,  it is a 4 spring clutch i  will start all over again tomorrow . thanks again TW