Author Topic: Cush Drive Sleeve  (Read 369 times)

Online Miker

• A's Good Friend
  • Rockingham , Western Australia
Cush Drive Sleeve
« on: 15.09. 2020 04:25 »
I am going to modify my crank cover 1951 ZA10 to accommodate an oil seal on the drive side instead of a slinger washer as suggested by forum members. My problem is that my cush drive sleeve edge that goes into engine case is 45.8mm and the seal I bought (67-0674 ) is only 40.8mm on the inner. Is the sleeve different on seal models. I thought it was just a matter of machining the cover to fit the outer edge of the seal. Am I missing something on this alteration.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cush Drive Sleeve
« Reply #1 on: 15.09. 2020 08:17 »
 Miker. Just measured a seal type plunger drive sleeve, and it's a gnat's under 43mm.  So looks to be a difference.  Your existing slinger sleeve should have a scroll machined on the outer edge,and be a close fit in the crankcase hole. Some reports of this part being supplied with no scroll, just a plain smooth edge.  Reducing your sleeve to this dimension is a possible if you have a problem sourcing the correct sleeve. From experience the scroll/slinger arrangement works well enough as long as the scroll grooves are clean and not coked up.

Cheers

Swarfy.

Online Miker

• A's Good Friend
  • Rockingham , Western Australia
« Reply #2 on: 15.09. 2020 08:36 »
Hey Swarfcut,
                       My drive sleeve does not have a scroll. I was concerned if I shave it down on my lathe that there will not be enough face left for the duplex sprocket to sit against. Just trying to get my head around the mod before I tamper with anything.
Cheers,
            Mike

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.09. 2020 09:03 »
Miker, The running face against the back of the duplex engine sprocket, where the three oilways are in the slightly raised boss, is only some 3.6mm on an example to hand.. In other words the flange OD running against the seal is the bore of the sprocket plus 7.2mm.

Swarfy.