Author Topic: A7 oil leak  (Read 513 times)

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
A7 oil leak
« on: 23.09. 2020 18:59 »
I used the A7 yesterday, after fitting a re-con speedo, I thought just to test it out, I did 33miles but the trip cock read 29miles. Anyway, when I arrived home I had an oil leak from, I thought the rocker box, I thought surely my solid copper gaskets have not let me down, so I stripped the rocker box off, all looked fine, so refitted then I noticed that the oil feed union to to rockers, which had the fibre washer on it had been leaking, so I went to all the trouble of stripping down the box for nothing, not to worry, at least it gave me satisfaction knowing that it was not my gaskets, so I was very pleased with the end result.

All the best TTJohn *smile*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: A7 oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 23.09. 2020 21:21 »
G'day John.
Don't ya just hate that *????* *pull hair out*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #2 on: 23.09. 2020 23:50 »
I used the A7 yesterday, after fitting a re-con speedo, I thought just to test it out, I did 33miles but the trip cock read 29miles. Anyway, when I arrived home I had an oil leak from, I thought the rocker box, I thought surely my solid copper gaskets have not let me down, so I stripped the rocker box off, all looked fine, so refitted then I noticed that the oil feed union to to rockers, which had the fibre washer on it had been leaking, so I went to all the trouble of stripping down the box for nothing, not to worry, at least it gave me satisfaction knowing that it was not my gaskets, so I was very pleased with the end result.

All the best TTJohn *smile*
I had EXACTLY the same experience 3 weeks ago... one of my bolts has been rounded off by previous owner & I thought it was tight enough... obviously not.    *problem*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 24.09. 2020 08:26 »
mmmmm easy mistake I used to think it was rocker box until I burnt my dingy rubbing the rocker box bit under the bolt heads, you couldn't see it but it was there waiting to settle on the fin over night.

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 24.09. 2020 11:06 »
Good evening all and hope you are staying safe.
My dowty washers which were recommended on this forum seem to have eliminated the issues I had for years in this respect. I will never go back to the fibre washers which were a continuous source of problems. SRM banjo feed is a lovely bit of kit hidden by the polished Spitfire tank and of course John’s copper rocker gaskets still working beautiful too. (Much obliged mate)
At least this part of the bike is leak free!
Kind regards to all in these strange times,
Hadrian.

61 BSA Super Rocket (cafe).
51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 25.09. 2020 09:36 »
Hadrian,
 glad to hear your pleased with the gaskets and that they have cured your leaks, I have not had any complaints and it's nice to know that yours are working as they should be.

Regards TTJohn