Author Topic: torque arm bracket  (Read 1489 times)

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
torque arm bracket
« on: 01.09. 2009 20:58 »
Hi chaps,

Someone pop out to the garage/shed for me!
If youve got a single width rear hub that is, the rest of you carry on with what you were doing.
Ive made a new bracket (to go on the lower swing arm) bolted it to the torque arm,centered up the rear wheel and measured the distance along the swing arm for it to go, rotated the brake plate to the correct oclock.What I cant tell from any picture is does it sit on the centreline of the SA tube, or offset to the inside somewhat as mine is sitting.(my torque arm is new and dead straight) .As soon as I know this and weld it on, all my frame conversion is finished and I can paint me frame, so would appreciate any replies.

Cheers Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: torque arm bracket
« Reply #1 on: 02.09. 2009 08:39 »
G'day Spyke,
                 I have a '56 SS The bolt is 9" from pivot and 1" inside S/A.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 02.09. 2009 08:56 »
Hi Spyke,
I just popped out and had a look at mine. I laid a steel rule against the side of the swinging arm and used the antennae on my set of "verynears" Obviously the swinging arm splays out and the bracket runs straight. The distance between the bracket and the outside edge of the swinging arm was 18mm at the front and 22mm at the back. I had hoped to measure it with an adjustable T-square, but just couldn't get it in around brake rods footrest handgers etc. It might be better to find someone who has a swing arm out of the bike. Sorry about the quality of the pictures.

Cheers,
Iain  

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.09. 2009 11:59 »
Spyke,

You're converting to a half-width brake, correct? I can't quite tell from the photo or remember what Tombeau has, probabaly one of every variety.

Here are pictures of mine. You can see that the bar (or, "my bar", no humor inteneded) has a bend. Also. You will also see that, as far as I can tell from looking at it and at the picture, it is centered (makes sense). I am incuding a straight-on picture of the brake plate so you can compare position.

Hope this helps.

Richard L.

Edit:  I am only assuming that the bar on my bike is as original. However, I cannot be one-hundred percent sure, never having compared mine with others. Also, If I had known anyone would look so closely at this part I would have included it in the "re-chome" group.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 02.09. 2009 12:57 »
Half-width "goldie" aka B31 rod operated brake swing arm.
Sorry about the quality of photos. I think my camera is dying.everything keeps going purple and blurry on it.
My bar has no bend, its straight.
But my bike is as Richard suggests, a real hodge podge of bits and pieces

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 02.09. 2009 15:43 »
Yikes! Doesn't 50 odd years of keeping these things on the road create some 'interesting' variations. BSA would be proud of us!
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.09. 2009 20:52 »
Ah! Tombeau's is to the inside and mine is to the outside, explaining straight vs. bent. I don't know which is original. Mine is as I bought it in '73. Nevertheless, I believe bracket on the centerline is correct.

Richard L.

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 03.09. 2009 13:47 »
I believe it matters what brake plate you are using.  The alloy plates put the torque arm farhter outboard, I believe.

I say weld the sucker where it fits right and don't worry too much about originality...
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 03.09. 2009 13:54 »
I agree entirely.
And to quote the man himself:

"not worried about authenticity ,its not a replica, i just like that look and its going to be ridden every day rain or shine so asthetics not important "

Cheers,
Iain