Author Topic: primary chaincase cover gasket  (Read 653 times)

Offline marvic

• Moving Up
primary chaincase cover gasket
« on: 07.10. 2020 20:45 »
Hello all, i had an oil leak from the primary due to bad gasket and i removed the primary cover to replace the gasket. My question is, should i do some silicone with the gasket or just install the gasket without silicone? i heard  different options from friends that i should add some heating gasket silicone before closing the primary cover. Any advise on this topic would be helpful as i'm ready to close it up so i can ride this Sunday   *smiley4*
Malta 59 A10

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: primary chaincase cover gasket
« Reply #1 on: 07.10. 2020 20:55 »
Most of us (I think) prefer to keep silicon around the bath and out of the workshop. For my own part, I'd use either a smear of grease or, if the joint faces aren't great, a thin smear of hylomar.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline marvic

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 07.10. 2020 21:09 »
RDfella great to know and thanks
Malta 59 A10

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 07.10. 2020 22:27 »
Silicone has a nasty habit of blocking oil passages in the engine if you slap it all over the show.

I use it, but only a very thin smear on the gasket. For the chaincase there are no oilways to block so you can afford to be generous if you like.

I haven't had a gasket on my chaincase for as long as I can remember, I just make a small pyramid along the edges.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 08.10. 2020 02:55 »
Make a nice fat .8mm Flexoid gasket and fit it dry. You'll need to re tighten it after a day or so but that is what works on mine.
NZ

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #5 on: 08.10. 2020 07:12 »
Normal paper gasket and grease works for me.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 08.10. 2020 07:42 »
Hello all, i had an oil leak from the primary due to bad gasket and i removed the primary cover to replace the gasket. My question is, should i do some silicone with the gasket or just install the gasket without silicone? i heard  different options from friends that i should add some heating gasket silicone before closing the primary cover. Any advise on this topic would be helpful as i'm ready to close it up so i can ride this Sunday   *smiley4*

Another thing to look for is oil leaking around the (bottom) visible screw heads (small o rings can help) also past the bottom threads where the hole in the inner goes all the way through, I had to fit a longer screw on one, and put a nut and rubber washer on the back face of the inner (hope that makes sense). Sealant on the thread is another option that may work.

You may have to do a bit of detective work to locate leaks around the screws, obviously the oil will leak from slightly higher up if its an issue with the screws.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline GregW

• Active
  • 1955 Road Rocket Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
« Reply #7 on: 09.10. 2020 03:47 »
For sealing up timing cover and primary cover I have had really good luck with PERMABOND -LOK HH190. I have used it with and without gaskets and have not had leakage. I just removed both my primary and timing cover after  years (5 riding, 25 sitting) and did not have leaks and was able to clean up residue with one pass of a razor blade. I swear by the stuff. No gasket and/or  gaskets dressed with this are great to seal things. The sealant stays flexile, does not wash away with oil and is easy to disassemble. It is an anaerobic gasket sealer and does not seem to have any threat to engine oil passages.

This sealant is one required by M.A.N bus engines I worked on several years ago to maintain warrantee and has served me well on my A10 for 25+ years.
Greg Whitney

Proud owner of 1955 Road Rocket