Author Topic: The Phantom Green and white wire ?  (Read 584 times)

Offline doctee

• Active
The Phantom Green and white wire ?
« on: 14.10. 2020 19:07 »
Hi All
        I am a newbie From Manchester, I have been Motorcycle Mechanic since 1977 ( wanted to be a Fireman, but found out I can't handle heights).
        I've worked on Japanese Machines for most of that time, I've worked for Billy Briggs, Queens park Motors, Multipart motorcycles, 3 Cross motorcycles in Dorset , Motorcycle City and finished up in Eccles working for P.O. Motorcycles.
 My problem is a 1959 BSA A10 ( I took it on to help a friend out). I've checked all the wiring diagrams I can find  and cannot find the Green and White wire in the loom on this bike. I thought one of you guys could maybe shed some light on what might be going on. Any help would be thankfully received.
Regards Trev T.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: The Phantom Green and white wire ?
« Reply #1 on: 14.10. 2020 21:18 »
Green and white, would that be something fed from the ignition switch? So you can't find the wire on a diagram or can't physically find it on the bike?

Offline doctee

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 14.10. 2020 22:12 »
Hi Rex,
           I have a green and white wire on the bike but not on any of the wiring diagrams. I could trace it back to find out where it originates but I;m wondering if the wiring loom is from another bike, if so what bike it's from.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.10. 2020 08:36 »
Looms were and still are often more generic than specific, and extra wires which aren't connected aren't unusual. The looms were built to cover all markets and models for cheapness of production and spares holdings, so probably nothing much to worry about.
As for what loom also fits, who knows?

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.10. 2020 09:20 »
Could be an addition by a previous owner.

Green/white usually found on alternator bikes as part of the charging wiring.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 15.10. 2020 10:43 »
Might even be simpler to install an all new harness, they are not that expensive. Assuming the bike is still running magneto it is all very simple - even for me.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 15.10. 2020 15:55 »
It is unusual to find a green and white wire in the actual wiring harness for a BSA as Julian says the green and white wire is a alternator wire and goes direct from the alternator to the rectifier where iit then connects to the ignition switch via a light green wire this is on 250cc BSA C11G
Have just checked my wiring diagram for my A65 and there is a green and white wire that comes from position 4 on the lighting switch but it does not go anywhere it just ends with a bullit connector, so maybe a previous owner has used  or adapted an A65 wiring harness
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline doctee

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 15.10. 2020 19:55 »
Thanks everyone, been a great help. I think someone has adapted another ha

rness as you have suggested. The green and white is being used as the main feed forgot, stoplight and indicators. Thanks again