Author Topic: B/M series centre stand removal - is this a frame mod?  (Read 273 times)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
I’m having trouble removing the centre stand on the plunger b33 (actually an m20 frame). With the stand stud removed, it’s still firmly in place - swinging freely with only a little bit of wobble. I tried a bit of force.
Now I haven’t looked up the bottoms of too many B/M series plungers, but I wonder if someone has welded some plates to the frame with holes bored to fix the ends of the stand – maybe an old fix? See the pic - orientation is looking up under the bike from RHS, the stand spring is top left of the pic, arrows point to possibly extra welded plates. So maybe the stand is welded in? Plausible? Or are those extra plates (near the arrow ends) standard kit? they do stop the stand so maybe its some other problem?

Thanks for any advice on this
Mike

(PS - yes the stand stud is back in place in the pic - it was fully removed when trying to remove the stand)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: B/M series centre stand removal - is this a frame mod?
« Reply #1 on: 19.10. 2020 11:07 »
There are a couple of small plates riveted on to the main gearbox plates, to mount the stand on. You can see a rivet in your pic. The plates look std to me.

I reckon you will have to slacken off the various bolts/studs clamping the plates to the gearbox and/or engine to free up and remove the stand, from memory there is a tube that passes through the stand and provides the bearing surface, and which is clamped tight between the plates, the bolt you removed does not bear directly in the stand (but don't quote me!).

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
Re: B/M series centre stand removal - is this a frame mod?
« Reply #2 on: 20.10. 2020 09:03 »
Thanks Kiwi - that explains it. the tube will be tight between the plates. i'll have a crack at it one day

New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS