Author Topic: Engineering services  (Read 827 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Richard Hinton

• Moving Up
Re: Engineering services (crank grind)
« Reply #1 on: 12.07. 2022 22:54 »
Hi There, My gold flash needs a grind 1960 at presnt -10 needs to go to -20. do you know of an engineering shop near Stourbridge west midlands? if you or anyone knows let me know many thanks richard
1960 GF

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Re: Engineering services
« Reply #2 on: 13.07. 2022 01:22 »
Hey Richard, there’s a place called PJ motorcycle engineering in wedensfield, Wolves, they mainly do 2 stroke stuff, but he’ll know of somewhere that’ll get it done.
01902 307457
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.07. 2022 07:51 »
Make sure, whoever does it, that they know there must be a small radius where the journal meets the crank webs.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Richard Hinton

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 13.07. 2022 08:28 »
Many thanks, i looked at PY on the web site but as mentioned 2-stroke stuff but ill call them and see. seems hard today to get engineering shops who can do this work.

Regards Richard
1960 GF

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #5 on: 13.07. 2022 09:23 »
https://vintage-engine.net/
Is where I send everything I care about. Not convenient from here, but 'done once & done right'.
Bill

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 13.07. 2022 09:41 »
   No mystery with A Series regrinds, any competent machine shop could do it, the cranks follow normal automotive practice. As GB mentioned, the radius where pin meets web is important, and printing off the service sheet and showing it to the grinder may go a long way to getting what you want.  The radius is determined by the dressing of the grinding wheel, and you can bet the majority in this business will assure you it's gonna be fine, using the same wheel for any crank that comes through the door. As a punter, how are you going to check?
   Flywheel can stay on, but important to strip out the sludge trap etc before it goes for grinding, thus avoiding damage to your newly ground  crank pins as you struggle with the plugs. No if's or but's, a clogged up trap will wreck all your expensive handiwork in minutes. Plenty on the Forum and YouTube  viddys showing how to do it.

I used Gordon Smith in Halesowen, way back. Saw an advert for West Midland Engines from the same premises a few years ago. There is also a place in Redditch used by the Car SOS gang, but to be honest there are probably more of these engineering outfits in the West Midlands than anywhere else.

Grinders will like to supply the bearings as well, but  at the end of the day it's your choice, and apart from machining to spec, guarantees are like Unicorn Horns.

Swarfy