Author Topic: Fort forks slider removal.  (Read 623 times)

Offline Ratchet Richard

• A's Good Friend
Fort forks slider removal.
« on: 05.11. 2020 18:50 »
Hi all. My newly acquired A7 1958 model is giving me a few problems!  When I got the bike I noticed the front forks were very stiff.  I first thought the springs where sidecar rated ones. Any way decided to take the forks off and see what was wrong. 
When I got the bike it came with loads of receipts of bits replaced, including new fork tubes and bushes. 
Forks legs can off with no trouble, one leg was very stiff with it sort of locking up at top of extension and bottom compression. Other leg seems to be moving freely.  After acquiring a oil seal holder removal tool started to dismantle the bad leg.  Holder unscrewed without trouble.  I noticed that the circlip had come loose.  I managed to get the clip of alright.
When I came to removing the slider the top bush came out but I could not get the bottom bush to pull out of the slider.  I don’t want to do any damage so thought I would ask the forum for any trips on how best to go about this problem.  I am thinking of replacing the leg back in the yokes and then trying to tap the slider off, is this a good idea?  I don’t want to end up with the slider a fork tube stuck.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
Re: Fort forks slider removal.
« Reply #1 on: 05.11. 2020 19:40 »
Richard, I wish you good luck on your fork rebuild. I’m sure the enlightened on here will instruct further. I will be attempting to rebuild mine over the winter so will be watching this post closely.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.11. 2020 20:51 »
Has someone gripped the slider in a vice and distorted the tube? But the good news is probably that the top bush came out, so the bottom one shouldn't be too much harder. I'd grip the stanchion in a vice (with fibre jaws) and use the slider as a sort of slide hammer. If it gets stuck, you can always drive it back with a hide mallet or lump hammer and piece of wood and try again.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.11. 2020 08:07 »
Richard. Both top and bottom bushes have the same external diameter, the slider is a plain tube, so if the top bush comes out, the bottom should follow easily. Have a look down inside the slider, I have had them where someone has replaced the "Y" type mudguard bracket studs and they have been screwed into the bore. To endorse RD, check the leg for distortion. As to getting it out, a good dose of WD and working the slider on the leg as suggested should do the trick. No vice? Hooligans method would be to replace in the yokes without the spring, this will hold it still. If it is determined to stay in, then a bit of violence and perhaps the hot air gun should do it if no other obstruction is seen. The slider should pull straight off.

Bottom bush is held in place with a stepped nut and washer. Expect damage to the bottom bush, the problem could be grit trapped between bush and slider.  Clean out and inspect the slider, and short term if the bush is reasonable I would use it and reassemble to be sure you have solved the issue before spending more. The leg can be checked for bending or bowing by rolling on a flat surface. Fork nut and yoke tightening sequence are outlined in the service sheets, available on the Forum in the literature section.

Swarfy.

Offline Ratchet Richard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 06.11. 2020 11:09 »
Thanks for suggestions guys (well it was Nov 5th yesterday).  Progress has been made.  I have the slider off, it just needed a bit of heat then some determination with a wooden mallet.  Both bushes are new, the PO must have just forced the bottom bush into the slider (he must have seen me coming so wanted to get it together quickly!).  I have cleaned the slider out and had to ease the bottom bush a bit with wet and dry, not much, and it now slides a lot better.  It is still a bit tight at the full extension but I don’t want to ease it to much else it will be lose in the bottom.  Any thanks again, progress is being made.