Author Topic: Gear selector pin removal  (Read 1515 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Gear selector pin removal
« Reply #15 on: 16.12. 2020 13:57 »
Berger,

I'm giving the whole thing a soak in penetrating oil in hope of loosening the tar, so movement of quadrant on the pin would be about the same as pin in the alloy. I'm guessing this is about like original design, since there is no set screw and it doesnt seem to be a press fit.

Planning to be in line when the pubs/bars finally reopen. *smile*

Richard L.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #16 on: 16.12. 2020 17:22 »
I think you will have to take the bush out and pull the pin out then once it's all cleaned up dab a bit of Loctite on it, over here our pubs are shut and my local has just been knocked down *eek* *pull hair out* *bash*

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 16.12. 2020 17:59 »
...my local has just been knocked down *eek* *pull hair out* *bash*

Saddest news I've had in the last five minutes.  *smile* (Actually, probably is a shame.)

Richard L.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 16.12. 2020 18:03 »
Not planning to pull the pin out often, but the Loctite raises an issue. The pin has to be extracted by pulling on an inserted screw. I think it will take heat to get Loctite over that much surface area to release while the pin is pulled. Not insurmountable, just a point.

Richard L.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 16.12. 2020 21:56 »
Hi All
Not planning to pull the pin out often

*eek* *eek*
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

ironhead

« Reply #20 on: 18.12. 2020 00:02 »
Not planning to pull the pin out often, but the Loctite raises an issue. The pin has to be extracted by pulling on an inserted screw. I think it will take heat to get Loctite over that much surface area to release while the pin is pulled. Not insurmountable, just a point.

Richard L.

Forget the loctite ,  It will only cause more grief in the future. The floating pin will outlast all of us.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 18.12. 2020 02:40 »

Richard L.

Forget the loctite ,  It will only cause more grief in the future. The floating pin will outlast all of us.

I agree, but I am going the free the quadrant from being tarred onto the pin so that it can move at least as freely on the pin as the pin moves in the alloy.

Apologies to everyone for taking so long to get to it, such that the issue has lingered longer than it maybe deserves. I've been otherwise busy.

Richatd L.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 18.12. 2020 20:31 »
Done and done (with this bit, at least).

Shift lever bush pressed out without a problem using my cheap-ass arbor press and a little heat. To my surprise, shifter quadrant pin pulled right out without being stuck in the quadrant. Just sticky. Polished the pin, and a very light hone on the inside of the quadrant, and no more sticky.

The one thing I did here which amused me, because I hadn't tried before, was to roll up a piece of sandpaper and chuck it into the drill press. Worked fine for a light hone on this small ID hole..

Richard L.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 05.01. 2021 02:42 »
True, and on some Enfields the ally conrod rode directly on the big end journal, but they were force fed oil.
Not actually the case as there is a floating white metal bush in the RE big end.
NZ

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 05.01. 2021 13:26 »
Maybe not the Enfield, but some engines do actually run the alloy conrod directly onto the crankpin - Seagull outboard springs to mind.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.