Author Topic: Will a Gold Star tank fit the standard A10 ( mid 50's) frame without butchery ?  (Read 766 times)

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
Has anyone tried ? I'm sure they have to make RGS copies. Do they just drop on ?  Also I have a new plunger primary chain slipper tensioner 67-1261  ?  but no idea what they are worth. Any ideas ? 

Thanks guys..  Barry

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
Hi Mr Shifter

I fitted a Gold Star tank to my 1960 Gold Flash SA with no problem. It just dropped on and bolted up.

ELLIS.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
BSA made their own tanks
From what I have been able to work out , the post war single piece top tanks had only 2 press dies
To get the different size & shape tanks the top was ( or could have been ) just trimmed differently from the pressing.
I was looking at making tanks a long while ago and when looking at making masters noticed that most were actually the same .
This is particularly true for the single bolt tanks where just about all of the tanks can be made from a single top pressing .

What does vary is the bottoms
there is better than 20 of them which makes perfect sense as they are shallow pressings so the press dies are about 1/4 the price of the deep dies used for the top.
And they can be pressed from cheaper steel in a much smaller press.
This is one of the reasons why the unit engine bikes used 3 piece tanks which would have nearly halved the price of the 2 piece tanks .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
Thanks guys,   I will proceed accordingly.  As a press toolmaker in the 50's/60;s I can well understand what you mean..

Barry

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
A Goldie tank has the fuel taps further forward compared to the "A" tank.

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
Do you think they will foul anything Trev.  Its a bit academic as I ordered the tank last night and the frame is being Powder Coated this week.  It will get sorted.

Thanks mate.

Barry

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
FWIW The Lyta 5 gall fits without alterations.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Shouldn't cause any problems, Barry, just that your taps will be a bit closer to the rocker box.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
A Goldie tank has the fuel taps further forward compared to the "A" tank.

The tank on my Super Rocket has the taps further forward, I was told it's a B40 tank. It fits and works well as a temporary tank.
59 Super Rocket 

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
The military B 40 tank and one of the goldie tanks that did not have plastic badges are identical .
However the Goldie tank must be made from thinner sheet as it is a lot lighter .
I was going to swap tanks with a friend because his chrome was pitting nd it is easy to chrome a previously painted tank but very expensive to strip & rechrome a chromed tank .
Bike Beesa
Trevor