Author Topic: suggested price  (Read 972 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
suggested price
« on: 26.11. 2020 15:18 »
Hi guys a little help please, I have two As I decided to sell one some time ago and it's ready to go, my intention was then to revive my other A it's originally a 59 Gold Flash that I jazzed up a bit, alloy head, 8.5 - 1 one pistons, alloy rims, stainless spokes, goldie silencers, Goldie tank, new seat, electronic ignition, cast alloy clutch pressure plate, dynamo belt drive, dvr2 reg, new carb, twin leader front brake.
Now hears the run, it has been neglected, due to my having had an operation or two and various other demands on my time it has sat in the garage and the alloy has corroded, both mudguards have rusted and the two Goldie silencers all rusted (all inexcusable but you know sh** happens), today my mate came along and tells me he knows someone who wants to buy a project, truth is the As are getting a bit too heavy for me and I'd like to get something lighter.
So two questions this bike looks grotty but would not take much to make it shine again so any suggestions as to what I should ask for it.
Secondly, any suggestion as to what I could replace them with would like to stick with BSA or  other make of the period
Thanks in anticipation
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: suggested price
« Reply #1 on: 26.11. 2020 15:39 »
Bill,

I know it won't be easy for you to part with your bike. I'm not going to opine on UK price, because I would be so wrong. As for alternate rides, I am personally tempted to take a test ride on a Ducati Scrambler. Maybe not enough of a weight change for your needs, being only 20 lb. lighter, dry. When the Scramblers came out, I thought they had something of a retro attitude, so have been intrigued. This said, there are a lot of possibilities out there.

Richard L.

Richard L.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2 on: 26.11. 2020 17:51 »
A rigid B31 is light, goes well and is easy to start. My S/A B31 is just about as heavy as an A10 though. The best of the unit singles is the WD B40. Much superior to the normal B40 and, if you put a bigger engine sprocket on, quick enough. If you want to go really lightweight, a B175 Bantam is surprisingly good.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.11. 2020 18:15 »
A rigid B31 is light, goes well and is easy to start. My S/A B31 is just about as heavy as an A10 though. The best of the unit singles is the WD B40. Much superior to the normal B40 and, if you put a bigger engine sprocket on, quick enough. If you want to go really lightweight, a B175 Bantam is surprisingly good.

Plus one on the B31/33, I have a rigid B31 for my older years (I’m not there yet) but the plunger version would be ok even though its a fair bit heavier. With the right technique they are very easy to start, much easier than an A10.

As for price of your A10, maybe knock £750 off the price of a non rusty one? (And give it a polish!)
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.11. 2020 20:15 »
Aaahrr! I didn't read thoroughly enough to see that Bill/you wanted to stay BSA. I'm now more than just HALF an idiot. Did nothing but reveal that the ease and reliability of a modern bike is not completely lost on me.

Richard L.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 26.11. 2020 21:25 »
Not sure I'd agree about the B31 being an option. An A10 only needs a gentle prod to get it going (A7's will be easier, though 8:1 probably moves it into A10 territory) but a single is more cc per pot and needs a bit of determination to start. Also, as the A series have a low C of G compared with modern bikes, they're about the most user friendly around. I think a Bantam would drive you nuts. A C10 / 11 would exasperate you with lack of power. If you're actually finding the A series too much, you'll need to go modern (electric start) but small to compensate for moderns' high C of G and high seat height.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 26.11. 2020 22:17 »
Not sure I'd agree about the B31 being an option. An A10 only needs a gentle prod to get it going (A7's will be easier, though 8:1 probably moves it into A10 territory) but a single is more cc per pot and needs a bit of determination to start. Also, as the A series have a low C of G compared with modern bikes, they're about the most user friendly around. I think a Bantam would drive you nuts. A C10 / 11 would exasperate you with lack of power. If you're actually finding the A series too much, you'll need to go modern (electric start) but small to compensate for moderns' high C of G and high seat height.

The B31/33 have a decompression lever, which A10 hasn’t, that and the fact its a single with manual retard makes the starting technique completely different to a twin, I lend my B31 to people who do not have the strength to both hold an A10 up and kick it over, yes they can put the A10 on the centre stand and kick it but getting it in the centre stand is also usually beyond them and that’s also no practical use in a “stall at crossroads” scenario.

So, so far my B31 is the preferred bike from a starting perspective by those I lend either of my 2 bikes to, but of course I know that this will not be the case with everyone, its just my experience to date. Not everyone has had experience of kick starting a bike (only having ridden electric start japanese) so for some it does not come “naturally” at all, and a kicking technique needs to be taught from scratch.

There is no practical choice but to kick an A10 “through” compression, on a B31 you kick it over on the non compression stroke (so it’s easy) and let the flywheel then carry it through compression. The retarded ignition prevents any possibility of kickback.

I had a C11 and that was harder to start than the B31 as it does not have a decompression arrangement.

A mate has bought a electric start 850 commando to solve the problems of kick starting, but that is a heavy bike to move around the shed, and expensive! So not an option for many. There are expensive electric start conversions available for the A series, and B series swing arm bikes.

The issues (and worries) around getting a bike started both from cold, but more importantly whilst on a ride, are very real and stop people riding, as it can completely take the enjoyment away.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 26.11. 2020 22:24 »
The B31 must be about the easiest bike in the world to kickstart. A big plus point. Don't dismiss the B175 though. The last of the line, very well sorted, light and with good performance.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 27.11. 2020 02:45 »
Bill
sorry to hear they are getting too heavy, I'd be thinking of a sidecar for balance and an electric leg myself but if you want lightish and a BSA, how about a C12. Alternator electrics so easy to have 12v, a swing arm and a decent 4 speed.

I think a star twin would be another good option, effectively a low compression 250 to start. I do love my ZB33 but the plunger singles have a very agricultural box in comparison.
My ZB will be the bike I own until they put me in a box.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 27.11. 2020 04:11 »
Gday Bill,
Before you do anything drastic, get some chrome polish (I use autosol) and some aluminium foil out of the kitchen.
Scrunch up the foil into a bit of a ball, smear on some polish and rub it on your rusty chrome.
It's easy. You don't have to rub hard.
You can then tell me how amazed you are.
I'd suggest a new little Guzzi. Ask Brian what he thinks of them.
cheers

ironhead

« Reply #10 on: 27.11. 2020 04:50 »
Gday Bill,
Before you do anything drastic, get some chrome polish (I use autosol) and some aluminium foil out of the kitchen.
Scrunch up the foil into a bit of a ball, smear on some polish and rub it on your rusty chrome.
It's easy. You don't have to rub hard.
You can then tell me how amazed you are.
I'd suggest a new little Guzzi. Ask Brian what he thinks of them.
cheers

I just finished doing that on a tatty A65, but used the ali foil dry & polished with Autosol after. Amazing how it came out *wink2*

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #11 on: 27.11. 2020 05:06 »
Being in OZ I cant help with value.

As far as a replacement maybe I can help. I have owned, and still do, all sorts of bikes including modern ones. If you want a BSA of the era but easy to live with compared to a A10 then I dont think you could go past a B31. With a good magneto a kindergarten kid could start one.

If you want to go modern with the wonderful invention called "electric start" then there are many options, I like Moto Guzzi's, got three of them, but there are many mid capacity bikes available. In retro style maybe one of the current Royal Enfields.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 27.11. 2020 09:43 »
You are a big bloke aren't you John so a Bantam would probably be too small for comfortable riding. What about a C15?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #13 on: 27.11. 2020 15:29 »
Or a B40 - see above.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 27.11. 2020 18:24 »
Afraid I can't agree about the 'easy start' B31 (or33). Yup, they start easily enough, but require much more input than the A10. I've owned one since around 1966. Spent most of its life in race trim, but did spend the 80's and 90's in standard road trim. You've got 350cc to kick over - on an A7 it's 250cc. The ingition retard is irrelevant, as both machines have it. My A10 (325cc) probably requires less effort than the C10 I had for years.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.