Author Topic: External Oil filter question  (Read 836 times)

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
External Oil filter question
« on: 11.12. 2020 06:55 »
I’m trying to clarify an opinion. If you run an in-line type oil filter,(large spin-on type) is there any need for the sludge trap centrifuge sediment trap tube thingy, and needing to run mineral oils only.
Also, as an aside question, would he then be able to then run a full synthetic type oil?
Asking for a friend..
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: External Oil filter question
« Reply #1 on: 11.12. 2020 08:24 »
The requirement for mineral oil is something of a superstition.

The sludge trap may still do some good, because it traps out particles of carbon black which are too small to be stopped by a paper filter.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 11.12. 2020 09:20 »
Agree with TT
Regarding synthetic oils, they're made for modern tight tolerance engines and usually rather low in viscosity so personally I wouldn't recommend them for our engines.
There's plenty choice in good quality "classic oils", so why go for a (usually) more expensive synthetic?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 11.12. 2020 23:09 »
hi , i run castrol synthetic 10 / 40 in my bsa a10 [ after running in ] and i believe the advertising  science as the engines quieter especially around cam and followers. [ less wear i think ] . longer between oil changes also.

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 12.12. 2020 05:09 »
Thanks for the replies, I was of the understanding that with the mineral oils that suspended particles have the ability to be trapped in the centrifuge, however with the synthetic oils (or even detergent oils) that the particles have the ability to remain suspended in the oil. I have a very vague memory of reading this, or it may all be a dream, I can’t recall.
Ed boy, are you running an external oil filter?
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.12. 2020 07:54 »
I have an external oil filter and use synthetic oils.
When our bikes were new, the oils that BSA recommended were the best oils available at the time.
In the last sixty years oil technology has advanced a lot and the oil available today is light years ahead of the oil available in the 50s.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.12. 2020 15:05 »
Regarding synthetic oils, they're made for modern tight tolerance engines and usually rather low in viscosity so personally I wouldn't recommend them for our engines.

I’m sure none of us would recommend an oil that was too thin.

There's plenty choice in good quality "classic oils", so why go for a (usually) more expensive synthetic?

Less wear, probably.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.12. 2020 16:39 »
Use the oil that the engine was designed around. A modern oil is detergent, ie it keeps contaminants in suspension for the oil filter to remove. With no filter (as with our A10's) the stuff just keeps circulating like grinding paste. Seen several engines destroyed by putting modern oils in old engines.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 12.12. 2020 21:31 »
all the bsa handbooks mention esso extra 20/30 and 20/40 as the old esso brand was a lovely oil. sadly no longer made. i use a norton cartridge filter but without one then i would use a monograde oil. i was unsure of fully synthetic until i tried it and also noticed less smoking that some cheap mineral oils seem to produce.