Author Topic: My smokey super rocket  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: My smokey super rocket
« Reply #15 on: 05.01. 2021 16:21 »
 Apologies to Julian and the rest of you folks for mistaking the gasket length.  Now SRM make one the right size, no need to cut an A65 one down.

Now booking an eye test in Barnard Castle..........

Swarfy.

Offline RogerB

• Active
  • Owned the A10 since Dec 2015. Still feel a newbie!
« Reply #16 on: 13.01. 2021 20:05 »
Hello all,
Just an update on this. mostly to stress that I haven't forgotten you all!
I've pretty well gone through all I can now - and believe me: your input was very helpful and surely saved my sanity.
To Slymo and Julian S: I did buy an SRM oil pump gasket (awaiting delivery) but have decided not to take the pump off. I did clean it and check for leaks - didn't find any. I know the pump was rebuilt during the restoration as I have the work sheets: so I'm going to leave well enough alone, at least this time.
To KiwiGF: your note re cheap spring compressor reminded me I had seen that some people use a G-clamp. So I used a G-clamp and discovered that the reason my compressor fell over was that the collets were stuck somehow to the valve stem. I had to use a short piece of suitable-diameter tube and give it a really good whack with a hammer to shock the spring without moving the valve. Now I can use the compressor!
To Swarfcut and Berger. I was being dopey! Yes the scavenge pipe is there and seems to be working.
I have now checked the scavenge-side pipes and they are clear - that's about as far into the dark arts as I'm ready for just yet!. I've generally cleaned and checked pretty well everything - and even finally got an idea of how the breather system works. It's always an issue when you do that sort of stuff and don't find a clear problem: but what I have found is that floppy breather gasket, and the gap in the piston rings was rather large: new rings going on. So now, once I have cleaned out magneto and reset one of the rocker cover studs (some previous owner's inaccuracy) I'll be ready to build it back up. I'll post again to let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.
Roger
Happily rolling along

Offline RogerB

• Active
  • Owned the A10 since Dec 2015. Still feel a newbie!
« Reply #17 on: 25.02. 2021 17:21 »
No longer smoking!
At last I took it for test run today - and all is fine. So, what did I find/fix?
The loose breather cork - replaced
I DID find a leak in the body of the oil pump - sent it to J Brown Services on Hayling Island for refurbishment.
Fitted new rings - just in case.
Checked and cleaned the oil pressure relief valve.

I've done a lot of other stuff too, but none of it related to the smokey engine - such as magneto off to clean oil out, dismantle clutch to get it working smoothly, replace studs in the rocker cover, make and fit new head steady brackets, fix wiring issues. And replace the magneto pinion which broke after I followed the instructions in the Haynes manual - you shouldn't hit fibre pinions with anything!!!

So now it's all sorted, running nicely and ready for the sun to start shining - and Boris to bless club runs again!

Many thanks to all who gave me such valuable help.
Happily rolling along

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 11.03. 2021 18:57 »
Hi Roger,
I have exactly the same problem with my valves. I need to take out the inlet valves ( which went in less than 200 miles ago) to clean out the filth from a powder fire extinguisher (carb is a writeoff).
I have bent my valve spring compressor - bought a new one which is starting to go the same way). I’ll try using a hammer tomorrow :-)
Adrian
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 02.05. 2021 23:39 »
Hi Adrian,

Your comment about using a hammer to get your valves out might be closer to the truth than you think.

Here's what I do.  I have a bit of wood that fits the combustion chamber.  Put it in place and set the head gasket face down on my wooden workbench.  Take a socket and short extension bar and place them over the collet ring and just belt it.  Valve can't move, spring compresses and collets fly out into the socket instead of hyperspace.  Four valves out in less time than it took to type this *smile*
You'll still need a spring compressor to put the valves back in but you'll find it won't bend because it's not having to deal with the initial 'crack off' force.

Len 

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #20 on: 03.05. 2021 08:15 »
Hi AJ and UKL. I had similar problems with bending valve spring compressors and valves!! The tap to release the collets is the key. I forgot that as the valve spring compressor gets tensioned (before bending!) then is a good time to give the valve top a decent tap with the hammer. The compressor should then move pretty freely having only the spring tension to release. Collets then removed with a small screwdriver or magnet. Nowhere near as quick as the Hammer and socket of UKL's technique but a little less edgy.
 *countdown* *good3* *beer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride