Author Topic: hub bearings  (Read 332 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
hub bearings
« on: 06.03. 2021 18:14 »
New Suzuki rear wheel 49t sprocket arrived two days ago, so I turned the teeth off my hub (BSA '62 FWH) and welded it on. Decided to replace the sprocket hub bearing at the same time and duly looked for 89-3022. Now, given imperial bearings are less common than metric, they are usually more expensive. Even moreso when they're C3, as is the case here. Because the sprocket bearing is a press fit in the hub and, as a bearing will usually close up by around half the interference fit (ie an interference of .001" will cause the bearing outer race to 'shrink by .0005") a bearing with extra clearance is required.
 For those not familiar with these things, ball and roller races are available with varying internal clearances depending on application: C denotes tighter than usual clearance, C2 is normal, C3 extra clearance, C4 even more and C5 max clearance normally available. A bearing with extra clearance will be marked as such. In the case of C3 - the most commonly used extra-clearance bearing - by three small circles etched on the outer race. Given many bearings advertised online as being 89-3022 were in the £5 - £10 price range, I wonder how many were actually the correct part and how many just run-of-the-mill standard ones? The cheapest genuine C3 bearing I could find was £18.
And the sprocket - what's going on with UK manufacturers? Are they trying to price themselves out of business? Was quoted over £100 by a firm I used to use fairly often years ago, but eventually got a (new) sprocket from Italy for less than half of that, including postage.

'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: hub bearings
« Reply #1 on: 06.03. 2021 18:32 »
And the sprocket - what's going on with UK manufacturers? Are they trying to price themselves out of business? Was quoted over £100 by a firm I used to use fairly often years ago, but eventually got a (new) sprocket from Italy for less than half of that, including postage.
"No call for them pal"
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: hub bearings
« Reply #2 on: 07.03. 2021 09:40 »
G'day RD.
The last proper C3 bearing I bought for the Cafe crank was nearly $100au.
When racing the A7SS, I turned off the teeth on the sprocket. Then got three alloy sprockets of different tooth counts. Bored them out and scotch keyed them to the inner.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7