Author Topic: Golden Flash 1951 from Paris  (Read 1320 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Golden Flash 1951 from Paris
« Reply #15 on: 28.05. 2021 19:51 »
I tried both position and battle with cable length and adjustement screw to finish with this "wrong" position.
Did you try flipping the lever over? I think they may be designed to give you another chance to find a good fit.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Oldtoys

• Moving Up
« Reply #16 on: 28.05. 2021 20:11 »
Well, no.... Another chance to find the right spot.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 28.05. 2021 21:47 »
G'day Oldtoys.
 *yeah* *yeah* *yeah*
Great job mate. Sounds sweeeeet.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Miker

• A's Good Friend
  • Rockingham , Western Australia
« Reply #18 on: 29.05. 2021 02:30 »
WoW!! Well done . *beer* If my bike ends up sounding like that I will be one happy little vegemite.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 29.05. 2021 08:53 »
 Well that gets my vote for one of the quickest starts to finishes ever!!  Bearing in mind  how it arrived the transformation is nothing more than astounding. Fine demo there of the oil return on tickover, and the French Accent in the tickover, must be the EU additives.

Yes,  turning an original front brake hub lever over can also achieve a different angle. Otherwise it's new shoes or the cheapskate trick of packing out the shoe end pads against the cam with a pair of homespun fixed shims. Again not for the purists but a well tried fix.

Well done, a very nice result.

Swarfy.

Offline Oldtoys

• Moving Up
« Reply #20 on: 29.05. 2021 11:21 »
Well that gets my vote for one of the quickest starts to finishes ever!!  Bearing in mind  how it arrived the transformation is nothing more than astounding. Fine demo there of the oil return on tickover, and the French Accent in the tickover, must be the EU additives.

Yes,  turning an original front brake hub lever over can also achieve a different angle. Otherwise it's new shoes or the cheapskate trick of packing out the shoe end pads against the cam with a pair of homespun fixed shims. Again not for the purists but a well tried fix.

Well done, a very nice result.

Swarfy.

Thanks Swarfy, appreciated.
My take with the speed, is to avoid waiting for someone doing a single job, because they can be many... With your puzzle spread around. I learned from past experience that counting on yourself is not always better but much quicker. Sometimes you just need to make some trade off with your capabilities. Icing on the cake it is very rewarding when you fix stuff, then move forward, and learned something.
The lock down here was particulary convenient to this approach. Plenty of time and a 10km circle not to exceed. End of the day you know who to complain to if shit happen, and then redo.
So lacing wheels, engine dismantle and re assembly, paint (100% brush same paint chassis to body + filet) have been 100% done home. Only exception would be a rewire of the magneto planed for this winter because it works as a charm for now.
Another benefit is budget saving. I could offer a SRM oil pump, all the chrome things existing, buy the missing Chronometric, in short the costly things. Downside is you spend enormous time on internet to learn the how and source parts.
I believe that my final budget at date is a bit less than 3K€. I don't believe you really can do better for less except if you have great friends or a good network.

It has been for me a great experience, I learned to love the excellent  engineering of this bike, often over engineered.... It's a tank, built for long lasting and self maintenance. A great bike for this time. Not really in advance, but very coherent balancing performance and reliability.
My play garden is more prewar stuff, so I could find very positive feeling in this exercise... Except some prewar brand, typing the part number of a clear design on google and find a long list of sourcing, is not a luxury I am used to. So the why this has been quick!
For the front brakes, they are new, and they will find the correct angle with all of your helps guys.
Cheers, there will be bubbles at home today! It is BSA day off.