Author Topic: White Bros Darlington  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
White Bros Darlington
« on: 27.01. 2021 23:03 »
This the sort of place where my nose would have been pressed to the glass when I was boy.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: White Bros Darlington
« Reply #1 on: 28.01. 2021 09:05 »
G'day GB.
Any idea of the year? Two A7/10's with full width front hubs, the rear one looks like 56/7 alloy.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.01. 2021 10:13 »
G'day GB.
Any idea of the year? Two A7/10's with full width front hubs, the rear one looks like 56/7 alloy.
Cheers
It didn't say the year but my guess would be early 1960's

Is that a BSA Dandy?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.01. 2021 10:55 »
All that and you have the billiards hall right upstairs.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 28.01. 2021 12:39 »
Oh, if only we could walk in there today.

Richard L.

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
« Reply #5 on: 28.01. 2021 12:59 »
Quite possibly where my a 10 came from. 28 PHN on the number plate which is a Darlington reg. I’ll dig the log books out ( have the original) and see what it says

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 28.01. 2021 16:52 »
Could have been Horsmans in Liverpool virtually the same size and layout with the upstairs as a workshop and bargain basement down below
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 28.01. 2021 18:17 »
G'day GB.
Looks like it is a Dandy. https://british-classic-motorcycles.co.uk/index.php/bsa-dandy/
So it must be post 57.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #8 on: 28.01. 2021 18:33 »
from faceache 

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #9 on: 29.01. 2021 07:13 »
Always wondered why whoever designed the Dandy thought it looked right.
Then along came Honda...
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #10 on: 29.01. 2021 08:37 »
Always wondered why whoever designed the Dandy thought it looked right.
Then along came Honda...
I guess BSA started off looking at these sorts of things, which had sold in their hundreds of thousands in post-war France  . . .
Plenty still about, with loaves of bread sticking out of the panniers like as not. Onion strings dangling off the bars are optional  . . .
Bill

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 29.01. 2021 09:25 »
   Reckon the Scooter extreme left is a Zundapp Bella, round the corner behind the Dandy is a Lambretta Li, pre'60 with the headlamp on the apron rather than later style of handlebar mounted. Extreme right is a Hillman Minx.

Asking for a test drive in that Bond Minicar in the window may have been a bit of a tall order. My mate had one, great fun, but an eggshell on wheels, along with three wheeled danger we never considered.  The Dandy we thought a real oddity, neither bike or scooter. The frame seemed to be spring loaded and flexed big time, like being on a mobile pogo stick. It had no street cred and like the Ariel 3 no doubt was the result of some misguided committee decision.

I'd date the pic as 1959.

Swarfy

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 29.01. 2021 11:51 »
Imagine having to sell the bloody things !! I did.   Worst thing that happened to me when working for Cundles Liverpool, was being told our most urgent priority  was to sell over 20 assorted Tina ,Dandy and raleigh mopeds . Over the weekend i seriously thought about handing in my notice .Monday morning I I crossed pembroke place and got to the front door to find senior management with faces covered in egg .They'd only decided to start selling cars ,hadn't checked the floor which simply dropped ,I nearly ***** myself , why??,  because the floor had landed fair square on my aforementioned nightmares !!  *whistle*strangely my career with them didn't last long after probably not helped by me not being able to keep my face straight when I got close to the other showroom /hole in the floor . *eek* *lol* *lol* *lol* *lol*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 29.01. 2021 14:39 »
  Motorcycle dealers always seemed to be in premises with cellars packed full, and bare wooden floors which were preserved by the inevitable oil drips.. The aroma of old oil, petrol and tyre rubber was almost a trade mark, together with the inevitable ciggy smoke.

Full time employment and the necessity to keep it running meant busiest time was Saturday morning, where the inevitable queue of youthful customers whose retail therapy was restricted by work commitments crept forward at a snail's pace to the counter.
 The partsman would go down into Aladdin's Cave, sometimes emerging triumphant with something that drew gasps of envy from onlookers. More often the glum face said it all.  Then it was your turn, and the interrogation began, the dog eared parts book was opened, the offending part indicated. If the part was in stock, there was always the thought that you had not come with enough cash, and a return the following week was on the cards to repeat the same. Parts always cost more than you could value them in your own mind.  Cheques were considered dodgy, Credit Cards lay in the future. The more usual and expected "Haven't got that"....and you returned to the outside world, crestfallen, to trawl the few dealerships in ever increasing circles.  Ebay? You don't know how lucky you are these days.
  First field bike was a Phillips Panda, a single speed two stroke, which went like stink with a bit filed of the cylinder head face and increasing amounts removed from the piston skirt, thanks to "Tuning for Speed" loaned from the local Library. Hard to believe now that people pay good money for what were considered rubbish even when new.

Great story there from Topdad,  what a tale.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 29.01. 2021 16:16 »
I was a telephone engineer. You remind me of unhappy visits to my local GPO/BT stores. The jobsworth's would not let you have the last one of anything! "If I let you have that we won't have one in stock" 😕
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK