Author Topic: brake pedal A10 swinging arm  (Read 503 times)

Offline jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
brake pedal A10 swinging arm
« on: 03.02. 2021 19:39 »
Once again my Golden Flash is full of surprises. Not nice ones of course. 

How hard can it be to refit the brake pedal? Well my pedal is bent.  I should not be surprised.  But worse still the brake pedal fouls the foot peg. Have I got the wrong one or what am I doing wrong?

I can find no numbers on the pedal so I can not be sure.  I have measured the gaps and it all seems to be working against me.  The Footpeg is a good 1/2 inch from the primary chain case cover.  More than people quoted elsewhere in this forum, but not too much.

The pedal needs to be about 3/4" further out if it is to clear the footpeg. I do not have access to the right equipment to bend it but I will take it to a local blacksmiths to see if he can bend it without breaking it.

I have taken some photos of the pedal. I have put masking tape around the pedal or else you cannot make out the pedal and the footpeg.

From above you can see that the pedal does not go around the peg. it swings back in.  I think of the whole pedal was bent out by 3/4" it would be fine.

The pedal hits the back of the peg and I am sure it should pass in front of it and hit the underside.

From the side you can see the pedal never get near the underside of the peg but is forced below it.

I moved the pedal out on the splines and think this it the correct position for the pedal.  The end still needs turning so it is facing upwards.

So, all you knowledgeable guys, have I missed something obvious?  I will put a wanted post on this forum but I understand that they are very rare so getting this one bent is probably the only way forward.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: brake pedal A10 swinging arm
« Reply #1 on: 04.02. 2021 08:38 »
Looks like you’re on the right track. Namely a compound solution involving moving the footrest closer to the chaincase and reforming the brake lever.
Also look at the fit of the exhaust downpipe. I had to make a few mods to the footrest positioning when fitting mine.
Remembering back to this assembly stage on my SR there was a LOT of fitting, removing, adjusting, repeat...
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.02. 2021 09:01 »
      Both footrest and brake pedal need a tweak. I see your other post requesting a hopefully unmolested example, but I would have a look at internet pictures of what the correct pedal and footrest looks like, yours may be the right one, or someone else's best guess.

Meanwhile start by heating to a nice dull red with a flame torch or forge to enable them to be bent and flexed to wherever you want them to go. Footrests and pedals are malleable, and will bend as has happened here. If you go to the blacksmith, take the cross shaft as well, as an aid to hold it still while the  pedal pad is realigned to match the horizontal shaft. If you study the pedal, you'll see where the unwanted bend is situated, throwing out the original alignment.  Apply the heat here,  bending and flexing the pedal arm in small stages. This will  move the pad to its required position.  Hard to move means you need just a bit  more heat. At the right temperature it will bend easily, you will feel the crystal structure of the metal moving as you bend the pedal arm.  I've recovered pedals bent backwards with no difficulty, plenty of gentle heat is the secret, don't attempt it cold.

To anyone else building up a bike, a dry build first will save the anguish of spending on a fine finish for parts that don't fit.  Never assume any part will fit, both used, new old stock (factory rejects?) or modern pattern parts.

Swarfy.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #3 on: 04.02. 2021 10:29 »
How far away is the blacksmith, if that’s the way you’re thinking?
Can you get the bike there for trial fits?
If not, to help minimise to’ing and fro’ing consider bending up some wire (coathanger?) as a pattern for the smith.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 04.02. 2021 11:04 »
Good point about the exhaust. I have some swept back downpipes and I planned to get the standard ones.  I better abuse my piggy bank... again.

Terry, your reply cheered me up.  I cannot believe how many times I have bolted things on, only to take them off again to bend, cut or drill something. I felt I was the only one not to be able to put a bike together.  I thought I would be taking the tinware to the painters after Christmas. Now I am not sure which Christmas.  I must admit I am getting fed up with working in a cold garage, repeatedly putting things on then taking them off again. I spent 3 days getting the trousers and headlamp right.

I would agree about the dry build.  Nothing fits.  I cannot imagine how much damage I would have done if I had the painting done first.  Saying that, I had the foot pegs and brake lever powder coated when I had the frame done.  Still one of my smaller mistakes.

I used the masking tape to mark the pedal every inch, with distant to bend out every inch.  This is made more difficult if I have to bend the peg too. Still I will see how it looks with the exhaust.  I am lucky. The blacksmith is only 5 miles away but the bike would need a trailer to move. He is a great guy, very helpful with a keen interest in vintage cars and bikes.

If anyone can provide a photograph taken from above this will be very useful for me to judge how much to bend it.  I can only find side views on the net.  I suppose if it looks right and feels right it is right.

John

1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.02. 2021 11:34 »
My A10 registered March 1962.

Offline jhg1958

• A's Good Friend