Author Topic: new to the forum  (Read 2084 times)

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
Re: new to the forum
« Reply #15 on: 05.02. 2021 21:58 »
Welcome Mr 865

While I personally wouldn’t choose to do an A10 build one piece at a time a Mr Cash did it with his Cadillac project and even wrote a song about his experience.

Good luck with the build and have fun with it

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #16 on: 06.02. 2021 01:24 »
 *welcome* I'm building a A7 SA from scratch, been at it for a number of years, got most parts now, it is amazing where the parts come from a lot of them have been given to me for very little or nothing, just have to do a lot of work on them, so ask around and keep your eyes open.
Where in WA are you?

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 06.02. 2021 07:38 »
Welcome 865. Another West Aussie on the forum. Great to see. I have found this forum and its contributors invaluable in doing what you have done.
i bought a near complete (being very naive) A10 in the 70's. finally got into it and after 5 years work it has been a joy to ride since 2010.
Like you, from bits i have build a second A10 plunger, also a pleasure to have on the road. my 3rd (we all have addiction issues) from bits, is being road tested now ready to rego. my 4th is being dismantled ready to rebuild so that i know what i am going to rely on later.

a 5th, swinig arm (54) is hanging in the shed and in bits under the bench.

so lets know if you need any local info. Orabanda, as always, is right on it, Pablo at iron Horse is a great local souce.

As Peter has asked whereabouts in this wonderful part of the world are you?

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 07.02. 2021 04:04 »

I take it you were born in August.

Welcome to the forum. Rex beat me to this advice, that is. buying something nearly complete. I will add, "...as cheap as possible and in the worst shape you can find,  then dissemble down to every nut and bolt. Then, randomly distribute the parts around the shed/garage, being sure to put some small bits in places you'll never remember." This will give you a real building-from-scratch experience for a lot less money.

Richard L.
April . 66
I already have another project in the shed so well versed with putting things in places i will remember then forgetting where they are, and wondering if i had them in the first place.
WA

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 07.02. 2021 04:10 »
*welcome* I'm building a A7 SA from scratch, been at it for a number of years, got most parts now, it is amazing where the parts come from a lot of them have been given to me for very little or nothing, just have to do a lot of work on them, so ask around and keep your eyes open.
Where in WA are you?

Thanks Peter & Gavin
Im in shoalwater in perth
Im pretty excited about a ground up bitsa build half the fun is chasing the stuff down im pretty amazed at the amount of repro parts available, but like most things i guess some will be good and others dubious at best
WA

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 07.02. 2021 04:25 »
This is the other project
WA

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 07.02. 2021 09:58 »
I take it you were born in August.
April . 66
So, your handle could be 466
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Miker

• A's Good Friend
  • Rockingham , Western Australia
« Reply #22 on: 07.02. 2021 23:36 »
Welcome 865. Your just around the corner from me. Lots of good info here. Good luck with the build.

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 24.03. 2021 02:50 »
The latest in the what looks like a saga. I bought a plunger frame from Luke at britcycle in Qld Australia. So far so good. Luke organised freight from Qld to WA freight company picks frame up sends it to Sydney then to Perth where some idiot decides they don't ship bike parts sends the frame to Melbourne rather than sending 50ks from Perth depot to my house. Now my frames tracking number no longer works and the freight company doesn't seem to know where the frame is. Apparently it's being returned to the vendor.
Anyway that's the latest update
WA

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 24.03. 2021 10:30 »
The latest in the what looks like a saga. I bought a plunger frame from Luke at britcycle in Qld Australia. So far so good. Luke organised freight from Qld to WA freight company picks frame up sends it to Sydney then to Perth where some idiot decides they don't ship bike parts sends the frame to Melbourne rather than sending 50ks from Perth depot to my house. Now my frames tracking number no longer works and the freight company doesn't seem to know where the frame is. Apparently it's being returned to the vendor.
Anyway that's the latest update
Holy crap! I really hope you get your frame!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #25 on: 29.03. 2021 10:09 »
Still no sign of it
WA

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #26 on: 16.04. 2021 07:07 »
My frame finally arrived have to give Luke at Britcycle in  QLd a huge shoutout 2 freight companies mucked us about and he finally found one to deliver it.
On with the show now .
WA

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #27 on: 16.04. 2021 07:08 »
The outer primary came up with a bit of el be ow grease
WA

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #28 on: 21.10. 2021 11:44 »
Bit of an update still plodding away. Have started a business so been time consuming. Now I'm making money well a little anyway I can get back to the A10.
WA

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 21.10. 2021 12:03 »
 Whoops. Early thin fin barrel, later type wide fin head. So a change of barrel or head depending what you can get. At this stage sourcing a complete engine is often cheaper, most S/A internals fit plunger motors. A7 and A10 bits look similar, do your researches to make sure you know what to get. Worn parts that fit are better than new pattern parts that don't, and for a bitza, helping keep those old parts out of the scrap is part of the charm of beating the system.

Swarfy.