Author Topic: Barrel  (Read 460 times)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Barrel
« on: 13.02. 2021 00:02 »
Here is the legendary barrel which is supposedly fitted to the RGS exclusively. I don't believe this to be so for a moment.
It is completely buggered after a big blow, it is cracked through the base and around the bottom and through the pushrod tunnel.
I am not the guilty party, it was given to me some time ago and I believe it came from a gentleman who raced sidecars with A10 engines.
I met him back in the 60s when I was having trouble keeping barrels together and had a look at what he was doing to keep them together. His solution was too ugly for me, brazing pins from top to bottom.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Barrel
« Reply #1 on: 14.02. 2021 20:14 »
G'day Trev.
Blew a few like that. Towards the end of Eastern Creek straight. Whats that rattle *????* Rocker cover hitting the bottom of the tank  *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 14.02. 2021 20:42 »
yes muskrat, they all do that.
if you can drive some sort of wedge between the frame top rail and the top of the pushrod cover , really tight . then seal the barrel crack with good old gasket red . it might work.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.02. 2021 20:47 »
Hi Trevor,
I think that exclusive RGS story about those cylinders is just another myth
Previous reading on RGS's suggests the engines were from the Super Rocket production line
Anyhow The cylinder that came with and is fitted to my 61 SR has that pattern finning, no way of knowing whether original or not though?

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 14.02. 2021 20:57 »
G'day John,
My thoughts exactly.
This is the only barrel of this type that I have ever seen in the flesh, shame that it is unrepairable.
I tend to think that they were fitted to the last production. A friend bought an American import '62 Big Valve and it doesn't have this barrel but after all of these years, who knows what it had out of the factory?
Trevor.