Author Topic: More (and different) oil line questions  (Read 1301 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: More (and different) oil line questions
« Reply #15 on: 19.02. 2021 15:43 »
DJ,

Apologies if I'm suddenly stepping in here as if I know what I'm talking about (awkwardly, there is a chance I may be right in this case). To me, the only thing you can do with the part you have, which is beveled on one side and flat on the other, is to use a tool that will replicate the bevel in place of the flat. Maybe this is where you were going and I just didn't catch it from your last post. Granted, to get the seal, you only need a continuous point contact around the circumference of the fitting, but it seems to me that that contact is more likely with mating bevels. Ultimately, I will be surprised if the solution is sand paper.

Richard L.

Sorry, I'm now acting obsessed. Maybe, in lieu of sandpaper, you chuck up the fitting in a drill press and use valve lapping compound to mate the two surfaces.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 19.02. 2021 16:17 »
Can't see how trying to put a bevel on the flat side will work, as (if I recall correctly) the inner diameter is too large. so using a countersink or whatever is unlikely to cure the problem. But I believe you have a suitable double countersunk banjo, which you intend connecting via a hose? Ideal and possibly better solution.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline DJinCA

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 19.02. 2021 22:09 »
RDfella is correct about the banjo on the larger pipe being too large on the flat side to be usable with the correct connector and nut.  The fitting on the short pipe is already bevelled on both sides, but unfortunately doesn't seal with the connector and nut.  I started working on the parts and it seems clear after some quick work with sandpaper, some layout blue and a magnifying glass that the sealing problem is a poorly cut banjo with tool marks showing some radial lines still blue after some fine sanding.  The seal is getting better, but it will be slow doing this by hand.

DJinCA

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 19.02. 2021 22:41 »
That banjo on your new pipe is simply wrong.
Well spotted! That banjo is deffo wrong.

G.B.,

I couldn't get an atta boy? *whistle*

Richard L.

You got there first. I misunderstood your observation. Sorry. 😘
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened