Author Topic: hepolite big end shells... any good?  (Read 928 times)

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
hepolite big end shells... any good?
« on: 09.03. 2021 07:45 »
does anyone have any experience or views on the new a10 large journal shells being sold under the hepolite brand name? god knows where they come from but don't care.
or would anyone have a view on other brands to buy or avoid?

thanks
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: hepolite big end shells... any good?
« Reply #1 on: 09.03. 2021 09:37 »
   If that was your only choice, then yes. There can't be too many shell bearing manufacturers and the original source must be from one of the major brands rather than some dirt floor enterprise. More bearing failures can be attributed to other causes  than the bearing materials themselves, yet it's the messenger that gets shot.

My preference is New Old Stock from Glacier or Vandervell. The packaging on these brands is quite robust, and even in the worst examples at least you know they were made to established standards of material and dimensions and as OEM suppliers had a guarantee of accurate fitment and application. MCA (a  Birmingham based competitor of Wassell) were also a trusted brand back then, as was an Italian outfit, Bimet S.R.I "Nuovo Botto" in red and white boxes. Glyco and Federal Mogul are the successors to these old OEM brands.

Swarfy.

Offline Truckedup

• I'm mad, you're mad, we're all mad
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 09.03. 2021 22:44 »
Mahle bought Clevite 77 and the new bearings in the plain white boxes saying Made In USA are made in a new factory in Iowa USA along with Triumph bearings
  New stock Glacier or Hepolite are likely bi layer aluminum faced bearings  .
 Tri metal 77 and bi metal have their different advantages. Do research online... I prefer tri metal when available...

1961 Super Rocket, 89 Honda 650NT

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.03. 2021 09:56 »
 Kiwi. Thanks for that link. All the thinking was done by men in white coats and as long as the journals and rod eye conform to the published finished size, the running clearance is pre set in the manufacture of the shells.

With multi layer shells we always assumed that when the silvery surface had gone and  "It was through to the copper" the shells were  badly worn, even if running fine, and needed replacement. Back then the parts were readily available and cheap enough. I wonder now if we wasted a lot of money, replacing parts for the sake of it.

Out of interest I dug out a set of MCA shells, plain white box, Labelled CB 2-B 67-0320  -20 MCA.

On the base of the pack another label says AEB 2024 020 E SA
 This label is typical of  AE/Glacier Bearings, and in my catalogue, B 2024 is indeed the reference for a set of Big End Bearings for the BSA A7/A10 small journal crank. Suffix SA denotes Steel Shell, Reticular Tin-Aluminium Lined according to the prefix/suffix section. Listed as  suitable for A7, A10,  Star Twin & Ariel Huntmaster.

The shells themselves are stamped 67 0320 -20 D HT G  This is the BSA Part No. for a Small Journal Crank, in this case at 20 Thou undersize.
   More usually the aftermarket shell is stamped with a Glacier reference  number, not a vehicle manufacturer's  OEM Part Number. For this bearing  application the Glacier shell number is GS 8748 LC.   In my catalogue only LC bearings are listed, being "Steel Shells. Copper-Lead  Lined with Lead-Tin Overlay"

So on the face of it in this case the MCA shells are a repack of BSA OEM shells. They are steel backed shell with a single bright silver metallic layer.

In my youth an Urban Myth was that BMC 803cc A Series engines used the same shells!

Swarfy.

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 11.03. 2021 05:08 »
thanks for the comments. it appears that down here the easiest options are the hepolite whatevertheyare (coz non one selling them says what) probably Al/Sn which would be plenty good enough for the a10, or the fancy srm megamoney Clevite tri-metal ones which are over$ and overkill.

as i'm about to put an order in to srm for other stuff i may as well tick that box too and hedge my bets. this a10 is eating my money again, 6k miles after a total rebuild and something has shat itself in a bad way, unclear why exactly at this stage but its not good. if i can get my head off the table i may start another thread about it.

cheers
New Zealand

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.03. 2021 05:16 »
thanks for the comments. it appears that down here the easiest options are the hepolite whatevertheyare (coz non one selling them says what) probably Al/Sn which would be plenty good enough for the a10, or the fancy srm megamoney Clevite tri-metal ones which are over$ and overkill.

as i'm about to put an order in to srm for other stuff i may as well tick that box too and hedge my bets. this a10 is eating my money again, 6k miles after a total rebuild and something has shat itself in a bad way, unclear why exactly at this stage but its not good. if i can get my head off the table i may start another thread about it.

cheers

Ah, thats why you rode yr M20/B33 to the chch rally, you’d buggered the A10 😏

And here you are about to bugger the B33 maybe 😂
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 11.03. 2021 05:49 »
kiwi lets be clear: its called unscheduled maintenance. yes, i am hitting it with a brick but do note there's a coffee cup on the stand's (homemade) kick lever that protected the paint, and it actually worked: prior the adjustments, the stand was not fully up and scraping on both sides. afterwards - plunger perfection!

and i took the b33 as RR was also to take his b33, but why his dynamo ended up on my bike and he turned up on the back of Rob's a65 is not my story to tell...
New Zealand