Author Topic: Right angle tach drive orientation and photo needed!  (Read 863 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Hello, asking on behalf of my neighbor.  He wants to run a Right angle tach drive on a Bitsa RGS replica (I will have to check but I believe he is working off a 57 and 61 Super rocket and Golden flash for donors)

Anyrate, He has a cover with the cut out for the tach drive, Bought a brass right angle drive (Hope he got the right ratio!) and he got a Maggie with a weird farm implement extension that just does not look right, way too big, the slot on the end is 2x the size of the drive.

I did a search on topics, and I see references to only a manual advance can be used?  Is that correct?  I went thru my parts books and tech material but maybe I missed it, But cannot find an illustration of the parts needed and their orientation,

If someone can refer me to the right tech material, OR,, a Photo or drawing of the orientation of the parts and their order of assy.  A photo if anyone has one of how they did it, would be SUPER helpful, and perhaps a list of the parts needed.   A lot to ask, but heres to hoping!  *help* *roll*

I explained to him the later cases ran the tach drive off the case, but he wants the visual of that big honking right angle brass thing-a-mah-job.   I will cut and paste and also send a link to the topics on drive ratios, and will ask what he plans to run for instruments.

I have a project as well, that I would likely need that info as well, so, at least 2 of us would need it!  *eek*
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Right angle tach drive orientation and photo needed!
« Reply #1 on: 11.03. 2021 01:23 »
I bought this unit from KTT Services 25 years ago, and installed it after machining the timing cover

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 11.03. 2021 01:42 »
Do you by chance have a photo or diagram of what the parts inside look like? Specifically the adapter between the Mag, the advance mechanism or lack thereof?   I found on FEKED the adapter I think is correct, but would be nice to see it all on the bike with the cover off.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.03. 2021 04:44 »
Sluggo, you have to use a manual advance magy with the tacho drive. Not necessary when tacho is driven from the oil pump.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 11.03. 2021 07:08 »
As mentioned you do need a manual advance magneto. The rev counter drive nut is a big, unwieldy thing but it works. For illustration, see https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/75606/rev-counter-drive-nut/#67-0713. It does sound like your friend does have the correct parts.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 11.03. 2021 07:18 »
Ok, Confirmed what I read on other forum posts, Check!  Also, thanks for the link, that also confirms what we thought.  Although he has one like that but about 3x as large so we are wondering what that is for?  The opening on the end is easily double the required size, and the shaft is longer by about 3x.

Searching online, still dont see a parts book diagram or a photo of the Solid gear off the Mag with a adapter fitted, as he is wondering about how it threads on, and how the gear is held in place, Is there a large washer or stepped nut that holds the gear on the taper and allows the adapter to thread on????

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #6 on: 11.03. 2021 10:13 »
The fixed gear on my bikes is a solid aluminium with a taper to match the magneto. The extended nut just screws onto the magneto thread and locks the gear onto the taper. The gear is also threaded for a magneto pinion extractor.
Setting the ignition timing is the usual fun exercise. It gets easier after the first few dozen attampts.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Truckedup

• I'm mad, you're mad, we're all mad
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 11.03. 2021 15:25 »
 while we are on this topic......Can the right angle drive be used with a later magnetic tach?  With the 1-1 angle drive the ratio is 2-1 like early unit 650 Triumphs..But does the drive spin in the correct rotation..? 
1961 Super Rocket, 89 Honda 650NT

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #8 on: 11.03. 2021 16:11 »
My solution, with adjustable length. Was actually just for a test, but stayed that way.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 16.03. 2021 10:43 »
Now we are cooking! thanks for the photo!  (I was offline a few days up in the hills)

As to running a magnetic instrument its certainly possible provided you run the right ration tach drive and proper direction of rotation.  I sent my neighbor several topics on here on ratios and direction of rotation and asked what he planned for instruments.  I have not yet talked to him since, but will follow up with him.
But I am sure he intends to run period Chronometrics..

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 17.03. 2021 07:34 »
Hi Sluggo, it does look quite large, this going into my Superflash.
The extractor is the same for a 4 spring clutch on this one.
Thomas.
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #11 on: 17.03. 2021 22:50 »
  ^^^ nice to see, a mag in such pristine condition.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"