Author Topic: Unsure which outer clutch cover is right for my bike build?  (Read 820 times)

Offline Dave

• Moving Up
  • Dave
Hello,

Please can I ask for advice on the two covers that I have. I really don't know why they are different or which I need to fit. One has a extra hole and seems to have a breather for some reason too.

The Engine is a 1960 A10 the frame 1954

I'm guessing the one with only one hole is the older one, but its a bit of a mystery.

Many Thanks
Dave
Lancashire - UK
A10 Swinging arm restoration

Offline Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
The extra hole is for the 4 spring clutch adjustment - it is the later cover.
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Offline Dave

• Moving Up
  • Dave
Hi Roger, Thankyou for the information.
The bike has a upgraded 4 spring clutch so you'd recommend the later cover? Do you know roughly when the upgrade was introduced at BSA? I need to find a plug for it if so, as I've only got the bigger one. Another missing part to look for!!

Dave
Lancashire - UK
A10 Swinging arm restoration

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
"seems to have a breather for some reason too." - where is the breather Dave, (just for interest)??

Offline BritTwit

• A's Good Friend
I believe the 4 spring clutch first appeared in the 1960 A10 parts book.

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
I think its not a breather its the oil drain bolt that is being referred to

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Yes the later one is also more useful because it has the combined oil drain plug and oil level plug, so you don't even need to measure the oil going in when you top it up.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Yes the later one is also more useful because it has the combined oil drain plug and oil level plug, so you don't even need to measure the oil going in when you top it up.

No need to measure in the oil on the older version. Leave out first 1/4" screw behind the lower 5/16" and wait for overflow. Put it back when done (the screw, not the dripping oil). *smile*

Richard L.

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
My 1961 SR restoration project came with a 6-spring clutch and a primary cover with an adjustment hole.  Looking at this thread, it seems they don't belong together, and it probably explains why the clutch nuts have gouged a path through the threads on the back of the adjustment hole.  I assume I need to source a plain primary cover, without a clutch adjustment hole.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
that could well be past damage when the clutch nut has come loose. mine has the same cover and when i had the six spring on it was ok but it had previous damage like yours

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
There are lots of covers out there with that damage, when I was looking years ago thats all that I could find. I have one with a horrible welded up hole too, apparently getting a clean weld on these old cases was(is?) difficult because of the oil contamination in the pores of the metal casting.....