Author Topic: A7 Sludge trap plug problems  (Read 2471 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: A7 Sludge trap plug problems
« Reply #45 on: 02.04. 2021 11:41 »
the drive side on mine is drilled 44mm same size as the plug. this big drilling goes as far as the crank journal shoulder nearest to the flywheel, then it is a 1/4 drilling to the timing side. this gives the drive side a bigger oil gallery which makes sense. dig deep swarfy

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #46 on: 02.04. 2021 14:24 »
Degsy

Counting the threads between the original photo and the latest, I would say that the plug is still there, as I suspect you will confirm. At this point, based on what I can see and on what tools and knowledge I have available, I would probably go in there with my Dremel grinder and take out everything down to the last wisp of threads. There is really no issue with damaging threads where the plug sits because they are in past the ones that matter.

BTW, nice job making the screwdriver work.

Richard L.

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #47 on: 03.04. 2021 10:01 »
Job done! Drive side plug out (see photo)
As RichardL suggested I went with the Dremel to grind the rest of the plug out right down to the threads a slow but controlled method. I did not need to drill all the way through to the crank oilway, which is just as well because the Dremel creates a lot of grit and it would be a worry about getting all of it out.  When it came to the levering the plug out it looked like it might drop into the space behind the plug and become a real pain to get out, so I drilled a small hole in the end of the plug (these Allen key plugs are very deep) and managed to wind it out with a small easyout and a long rod helping push through the oilway from the timing end. 
Although both plugs show signs of straking in the past to hold them in, this had been drilled out and there was no sign of new straking holding them, the timing side plug did show some evidence of Loctite, but if they had been Loctited why where the too far in? 
In the end there was very little sludge in there and I have given the crank a good clean out and blow through.
Back on the timing side (see better photo below showing enlarged hole drilling). My remaining concern is that yes the plug was covering the original oilway but with the enlarged drilling there should have been plenty of room for the oil to flow, so why do my big end bearings look so worn?  I need to follow up on the advice you all gave me about checking the rest of the oil system, thanks.
Still does not make sense that someone should drill all the way through the crank web rather than relocate the plug flush.
I have questions about the roller bearing conversion and putting the engine back together so I am going to take some more photos and start another thread on the engine next week. Hope to see you all over there.
This will be my last post on this thread so thanks for all your advice and moral support.

Happy Easter

Degsy

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #48 on: 03.04. 2021 21:56 »
Top marks for patience and perseverance.

Onward and upward!
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #49 on: 04.04. 2021 01:26 »
Agree wholeheartedly, great exercise is patience and persistence, well done Degsy  *yeah* *beer*....I wonder if the increased oil drilling was to get more oil to the bearing upgrade????