Author Topic: Triumph tiger 1978  (Read 316 times)

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Triumph tiger 1978
« on: 31.03. 2021 16:24 »
As my A10 slowly creeps to being complete, I recognise that at best it will be ready late summer maybe later. I do not want to rush it.  The rebuild has kept me busy through the lockdowns and luckily I have a Deauville that I can ride to keep me sane.  But still I hanker after riding a British twin.

On eBay there is a 1978 tiger TR7V for £6K.  One of the last of the Meriden bikes.  The description sounds convincing with a fair bit of work done on the bike and I think I have convinced my better half that I can fit 3 bikes in the shed.

So do any of you guys have any experience with this bike?  Should I approach it with a barge pole or snap it up?  Do you have any advice on what to look out for?

All help appreciated.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Triumph tiger 1978
« Reply #1 on: 31.03. 2021 16:42 »
You can never assume an old bike is “sorted,” no matter what they say gas been done to it.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 31.03. 2021 17:02 »
 See my other post. Triumph bikes, canal boats, classics all for auction at £1.14.  Er, well not exactly! These are the ones to avoid. If buying on ebay insist you see and try the bike. Even if your bid is successful there is no real compulsion for you to part with the cash if it does not meet with what you want. If not as described, the sale can be cancelled. This is one area where PayPal, cheques, drafts, Western Union etc are to be avoided whatever the seller says.

Swarfy.

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
« Reply #3 on: 31.03. 2021 20:19 »
I've got a 1978 Triumph Bonneville which I run in tandem with my Super Rocket.
Both wonderful machines - the Bonnie stops better but the SR makes me smile more !
The only trouble I've had with the Triumph was the alternator stator rattling - it sounded like a big end knock but turned out to be the woodruff key that had worn away - took an hour to fix and cost £2.80 !!
The Tiger runs a bit smoother being a single carb and the performance difference is negligible. - at 6K it's not a bargain but it's all down to condition.
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.04. 2021 08:41 »
That's very much top dollar so needs to be spot on.

I had a '79 Bonneville that I bought as second owner. Terrible paint finish on the frame, it would peel and there was no signs of any primer. The electrics weren't great. The engine went well but at 15k genuine miles was using a lot of oil. The original carbs (concentric mk IIs ?) were awful.

Would I have another? Yes - but not at today's prices I'm afraid.   
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza