Author Topic: End float fluctuations  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Re: End float fluctuations
« Reply #15 on: 07.04. 2021 16:00 »
Col, I'll take that into account when doing my pre-shimming maths. Cheers
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 07.04. 2021 20:59 »
Hey Muskrat
I think it was your instructions from an earlier thread that I was following, though I've not assembled the cush drive as I have read that it has no effect on end float, and I wasn't up for the fight to put 65ft/lb of torque onto the crank with nowt to stop it spinning.
Cheers
Jase
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              If you rotate the flywheel should find a hole on the outer dia a 3/8th extension will fit in and you can jam it up against the case to lock everything up in order to torque the cush drive .....earlier models may be different but thats how I did my 62 .

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 08.04. 2021 00:56 »
Cheers Sean, managed with just jamming my hand in and holding on to the crank.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline jonny web

• Moving Up
« Reply #18 on: 23.05. 2021 19:45 »
Hi Minto, I would think bolting up the cush drive, or at least some of it would have an effect, as it will make sure the drive side bearing is absolutely seated onto the crank, if the bearing isn't seated, then doing it up will increase the end float. To this end i am checking my end float from the other side, see pic

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 23.05. 2021 21:06 »
minto I wouldn't worry to much about 1/2 a thou, even my brain surgeon can't get the same reading twice on me *whistle*

I had similar differences measuring end float until I fabricated a stand and bolted the cases up in the stand ....also torqued the cush nut to 65 ft lb and assembled all the case bolts .....another problem was finding proper shims of the right thickness and trying to add as few as possible .

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 24.05. 2021 01:40 »
Eventually got there, all done back up now waiting for a second pair of hands to help me lift the lump/gearbox back into the frame.
Final measurement after cases done up with everything back in their proper place was 0.0011 (or 0.03mm in new money), with a very satisfying absence of clunk when levered.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR