Author Topic: Static running in an A65T  (Read 291 times)

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Good Friend
Static running in an A65T
« on: 13.04. 2021 08:04 »
Hi folks,
Jay now has A65 Thunderbolt. It's a bitsa and has a 71 motor (9:1 comp, as std) in a 69 frame, styled with 65 panelwork, like a 65 Lightning - so it's registered as '65. The motor has just been completely rebuilt (due to a freak mishap, where it ran dry of oil and broke a conrod). Anyway, I ran my A10  in (new IMD pistons, assembled "dry"), very successfully, using Klaus's static (search for this, maybe) method. You just run it for 10 minutes on the stand, with a fan on the motor - at 3k rpm. Then you stop and change the oil (only need a litre at at time). You also tighten the rocker box and adjust the tappets. Do this 3 times, and then it's pretty much run in. Don't let it idle too long, lug, or over-rev - for the 1st 500 miles, that's all.
Would that be good for an A65, too? It's also assembled with "effectively dry rings". Maybe wouldn't need to tighten the tappets, again, till the end of the 3rd run. Thanks...

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
Re: Static running in an A65T
« Reply #1 on: 13.04. 2021 11:49 »
Hi Scott,
yes, you can do this with every engine. I upgrated my sheet with a dyno, so its much easyer run in the engines and tune the carb with lamba sensor. Doing this with a new build BSA M24 engine in my pre war racebike. Last week there was the very succsessfull rollout at Hockenheim Racetrak, clocked 60km most time full throttle, with no problems.
Next projekt is a M33 with a 650 single engine, Motor is finished and had his first run. Now framework is on the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDwz-PlzBg

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Good Friend
Re: Static running in an A65T
« Reply #2 on: 15.04. 2021 01:16 »
Thanks so much, Klaus..