Author Topic: Bitsa this, bitsa that. Poppy's non standard 1949 A7  (Read 3645 times)

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Hello - Just bought a non standard '49(?) A7
« Reply #60 on: 23.02. 2022 11:06 »
A side stand was available as an optional extra - would have cost you an extra 15 shillings plus tax back then. It came with a bracket to clamp on the frame. You can see it in the 1949 parts book on the forum but have added the pages below.

Bracket part 67 - 4880 was specific to the twins and the leg 65 4735 common to the four strokes in the range.

Both very rare to find originals.

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
  • Artist and curator in Brighton, England
    • Ben Woodeson
« Reply #61 on: 23.02. 2022 16:54 »
Thanks all. I've emailed some pics to Draganfly who are speculating that the clutch is pre commando Norton.

TBH, I don't intend this to be a show pony, so long as it works, I'll be happy.

As regards the fork legs, I have what are supposedly plunger fork bottoms, I'll take some pics and post those later or tomorrow.

Keep safe, Poppy.

1949 A7 Bitsa this, bitsa that!
1979 BMW R80/7 with extensive upgrades...
1983 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
    • Ben Woodeson
« Reply #62 on: 23.02. 2022 17:18 »
Poppy's Bitsa BSA enquiry continues...

Any ideas on the source of this tank?

So far Bantam and Harley Sportster have been suggested but I'm not convinced...

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #63 on: 23.02. 2022 19:33 »
G'day Poppy.
I'd guess 60's BSA/Trihard with the seam down the center like that.

Best to put questions in their appropriate sections, this question being Frame. Start a new topic.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
    • Ben Woodeson
« Reply #64 on: 23.02. 2022 19:53 »
OK. Thanks. I was trying to keep it simple and all in one thread but easy to do.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #65 on: 24.02. 2022 08:17 »
I understand this topic might best go elsewhere,, But chking profile, I dont see it resurfacing. Not looking to add insult to injury for mods... But to answer your question on the petrol tank,, gas tank to us Americans...
I have the exact same tank, as well as a number of other period fiberglass tanks, trackmaster, cafe, etc etc...
Some of which get the period-patina crowd all worked up in a hot lather...

I can send off list, or post a series of pix in misc off topic if there is interest,, But I DO have an exact version of that tank, albeit, not the cool gas cap.  My understanding is its a period aftermarket tank availible via period vendors and shops. DommiRacer also trade name "Accessory Mart" in Ohio, had stuff like it back in the day, MAP cycle in Florida also a well known catalog company.  I have some period catalogs, and ads from magazines.. lots of old magazines had ads for these types of things in them and takes some sleuth work but you can often ID the maker,,, I have 2 others where the manuf put their business card under the resin and embedded into it., I can post some pictures of this,, interesting small companies no one seems to have heard of.

I am especially interested in period accys and theres currently a lot of excitement about early accy parts, racing, cafe, custom and yes..... CHOPPERS! 

For example, I was just talking to a friend today advising him on a 1962-3 BSA A10 project he is purchasing.  On the rear fender is one of those dreadful limp sausage tail lights.  He couldnt care less if its a period accy or a modern repop.. BUT, and in fact he likes it better than the stock license plate mount and tail light..
But I told him at some point to check.

The repops dont say anything or say Made in Japan,, But the original accy tail light casting says "Made in England"  and THOSE are worth a small fortune to the patina hipster crowd. AND to period customizers.. Even BSA importer in Nutley New Jersey peddled them with a period Bates headlight and bracket as part of a
BSA "Lighting accy kit" and those are highly coveted today.  * i have one of these kits and using it on my BSA Goldstar scrambler. 

I got a cool set of period Bates seats as well, Doesnt mean much to the rivet counters and OCD bolt polishers but for "Survivor Bikes" with period custom accys,, Its very exciting. Funny thing is, its stuff people thought to be rubbish and threw away, now?  $$$$$$$$$ Who knew?  Heck I have tossed some of that stuff myself, had no idea people would have wanted it these days.

As to your "Bitza Bobber"  I think its cool, just needs some work to be functional, and often orphan parts can be put together to see another classic on the road instead of sitting hidden away.  I wont cut up or customize a stock bike, but do appreciate seeing fun bikes on the road.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
    • Ben Woodeson
« Reply #66 on: 24.02. 2022 17:20 »
Cool stuff, thank you.

So, checked with Muskrat and I'm going to keep this thread here as a cumulative story on the tear down and build up.

Specific questions will be posted in the right place on the forum and then replies / decisions summed up here.

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
    • Ben Woodeson
So... thanks to Facebook, there's been a bit of progress on what the running gear is.

The front wheel, forks, rear wheel and brakes are from a Sinnis Apache Pulse Lexmoto Adrenaline (125 / 200).

Never ridden one, not sure I've even seen one, but hey, progress is progress...

Still planning to convert back to original running gear, maybe temporarily, maybe permanently.

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
    • Ben Woodeson
Re: Bitsa this, bitsa that. Poppy's non standard 1949 A7
« Reply #68 on: 11.03. 2022 18:41 »
Hello to you all

So day twelve of covid positivity, yay!  *sad2* But at least I'm out of bed.

A few updates.

Firstly, took the gearbox cover off, and yes it's the later type spring (AFAIK) and yes, it's broken.

Everything else seemed to be in OK or even very good condition, even the gasket faces!

One unknown is the gear that forms part of the non-return clutch "Kickstart ratchet pinion" I think. It works, but seems to have a few sharp edges, maybe an uneven wear pattern?

Apart from that, a bit more metal sludge than I'd like, but no lumps or chunks.

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
    • Ben Woodeson
« Reply #69 on: 11.03. 2022 18:43 »
More pics / bits

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
    • Ben Woodeson
« Reply #70 on: 11.03. 2022 18:47 »
Took the timing case cover off, and all looked to be OK apart of course from the complete lack of dynamo and attendant bits.

After 12 days being good it's Friday night and I decided I deserved a beer, so cheers to you all and thanks for the support.

One day this bike is going to be amazing!

Skål!

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #71 on: 11.03. 2022 21:17 »
Good example of the early flat top teeth profile on the kicker quadrant.  Like Musky says a replacement pinion must be the same tooth profile. Later versions have pointy teeth and can be swapped as a pair. Mixing the profiles will jam. Replacement spring is readily available, same across the range from it's introduction.

Make sure all locating dowels are not holding castings apart, all blind holes are clean, without muck and oil at the bottom. Also worth clearing  internal threads with a cheap Whitworth tap, and checking retaining bolts (1/4" Whit) for the timing cover do not bottom. Do not take anything to be correct.

Crank nose locking nut and oil pump drive have a left hand thread. Dynamo drive gear is fitted with a small cork washer underneath. This eliminates float on the idler gear shaft. Often overlooked, this will quieten mysterious tappings from the timing gears. With the cover off, oil pump can be checked for free rotation. If it's solid, it will have to come off and be freed up. Do not force it. The Mazac body will be damaged.

Ignition timing is done in the same way as outlined in one of today's posts.

AF spanners won't fit, forget them. A good  adjustable spanner is far more useful. Spanners sizes listed should cover most fastenings. Most threads on fastenings are CEI but the hex size is BSF/Whit.  Threads into alloy are originally Whitworth.

Swarfy.

Offline Big_Ben

• A's Good Friend
    • Ben Woodeson
« Reply #72 on: 12.03. 2022 09:15 »
Thanks Rex. I did have some issues finding the right tools, but I've now got some more (specifically whitworth) combination spanners on order.

The bike is a total bitsa, or to to phrase it another way, if it went to the Dr, it's medical file would cause the table to break and eyebrows to be raised.