Author Topic: New Hepolite (Wassel) oil pump issue or not?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
New Hepolite (Wassel) oil pump issue or not?
« on: 24.04. 2021 21:45 »
Hi All
Inching ever closer to finishing the long saga of rebuilding an Ariel Huntmaster engine
Checking the original oil pump out I found it was in poor shape with a lot of pitting on the Mazac body and drive end.
I asked the owner to go and buy a new pump, No stock at SRM and it seems the only pumps available currently are the Wassel Hepolite ones
So he sent off the order and Yesterday the new pump arrived
It had not attracted the Customs people so arrived without paying VAT and or Duty  *smile* *smile* *smile*

When I looked at the pump I noticed what looked like a small bit of swarf in one of the oil ways *????*
I got a pick to remove it but it was stuck! Out with a magnifying glass which revealed that the body screw holes
are breaking out into the oil galleries  *eek*
Now what effect this would have is a  *????* Oil could migrate across from feed to return side or leak from the pressure outlet to the return ?
Measuring against the old pump and another old pump I found the oil galleries are drilled closer than on the originals so intersecting with the screw hole drilling's

I have sent the attached photo to the supplier asking are all the pumps they have in stock the same?
As the pump arrived tax free I am a bit reluctant to return it as the probability of all the pumps being the same and the likelihood of having to pay the tax next time  *eek*

I am thinking of removing one of the offending screws at a time and covering the screw shank with Dirko (Yamabond) and refitting in a bid to seal across the break throughs ?

Thoughts please Guys?

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: New Hepolite (Wassel) oil pump issue or not?
« Reply #1 on: 24.04. 2021 22:01 »
Im my opinion that oil pump is no good at all, I would not use it, and the supplier should send a new one free of charge (so not attracting import tax).

The supplier should accept your photographic evidence of the issue but they could insist on its return, in which case they should refund the shipping cost of that return as well (small print may make them not liable to do that though).
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.04. 2021 00:33 »
I agree; the body is junk.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 25.04. 2021 12:20 »
If the threaded holes are for attaching end & drive plate and don't connect the two oil ways I guess it'll work OK but what would bother me is that someone turning out stuff like this - what else have they done? Are the gears hard enough and properly sized? Are the shafts of suitable material or will a tang break off? Wouldn't trust it or any replacement from same manufacturer. Doesn't anyone make the cast iron bodies anymore? They were good, especially as CI doesn't expand like alloy or mazak. Never could understand why manufacturers used the last two materials for oil pumps, because as the oil heats up the pump clearances increase, thereby reducing oil pressure.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.04. 2021 16:58 »
   Well said RD.    There can be no excuse for the Worldwide Marketing of such a poorly QA'd item. Yes, in theory there is the prospect of connection between the feed and scavenge sides of the pump, but in fact may be no more than that of a well worn pump via the spindle bores. Acceptable on a used pump bought for peanuts, maybe, but certainly not at the premium prices currently charged by this brand.

If it is down to the oilways  being in the wrong position, there is the uncertainty of  accurately aligning  them with the  corresponding crankcase oilways,  which is enough to condemn the pump as useless and not fit for purpose.

That said, an iron body is far preferable to the Mazak of an original pump. The dilemma is that they may be all like that, and it will be interesting to hear of other Forum members experience with these pumps.

I see Drags offer new pump bodies which require "final machining" alas not a job for the glass plate and emery, in my estimation.  Any folks tried these? Their non SRM pumps look to have original type alloy drive spindle housings (new, NOS, salvaged?) with a billet body, according to the items pictured. As per usual the object of your dreams is on back order.......but please pay for it now.

Swarfy.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.04. 2021 16:01 »
Hi All,
I will have to say credit to where credit is due to Draganfly and Hepolite regarding this problem  *smile*
It does not seem that suppliers stand behind dud parts very often  *????*

My friend got this email this morning from Draganfly who supplied the oil pump

""You have been speaking to my colleague Jackie with regards to your oil pump.  The manufacturer has confirmed the pump body has been made incorrectly and the manufacturer thought they had scrapped all the incorrectly made ones.  They have agreed to send a replacement unit to me and I will forward this on to you as soon as it arrives.  As you are in Ireland they have said that you can keep the pump as it will cost too much to return but please do not use the item.

Please contact me if you require any further information.

Kind Regards
Karl
Draganfly Motorcycles / Craven Equipment
""

The last line confirms my thoughts on not using the pump as supplied

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 28.04. 2021 20:58 »
G'day John.
Great to see customer service.
Now could those stud holes be sleeved with a thin hollow dowel or plugged and re-drilled  *????*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 28.04. 2021 22:52 »
Hi Muskie,
Its the oil passages that are drilled wrong,
There is not a lot of metal between the drilling's in any case  *ex*
I suppose it could be bodged but at what risk ?? especially as I do not own the bike its for

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 30.04. 2021 22:40 »
Have you been in touch with SRM? Recently I needed an oil pressure relief valve and they were showing as out of stock on the website. I rang them and was told they would be back shortly, got one within two weeks. Just saying it might be worth getting in touch. Well impressed with oil pump. Strong return and no wet sumping.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 01.05. 2021 01:13 »
Hi Adrian,
SRM showed no stock on their oil pumps when I went looking
The bikes owner did the searching and buying
I have SRM pumps in my own engines
News today is that the replacement pump has been posted

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)