Author Topic: Confession Time  (Read 768 times)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Confession Time
« on: 16.05. 2021 07:52 »
Sundays are traditional days for Confession for some people, so might as well get mine over and done with on one.
They say there is a time and a season for all things and that the “Only Constant is Change”. It's true I suppose and it applies to bikes as much as to the rest of life.
Anyway, after several attempts on the part of a good mate over recent years to deprive me of the pleasures of my A10, I relented last month, and let it go after best part of 15 years in my hands. The guy had been chasing it for ages because he 'needs a modern bike' (!!) now his son is a teenager, and his pre-war stuff (he has nothing newer) is becoming less and less comfortable for day-long activities two up.
So, at his umpteenth time of asking, we shook hands on a deal and he took it away.
An incorrect beast, but a fine one all the same (to our eyes). In my hands, 50K miles roughly, with routine attention only for the most part. One complete engine strip, recent set of pistons, valves and exhaust guides and new followers not so long back, decent 4 spring clutch, belt-drive dynamo kit, new rear sprocket, newish 389 Amal and  so on. According to the paperwork a '59-built HC-stamped SR originally, but fitted with an iron head and 7.25:1 pistons, cheapo stainless blade 'guards, Indian chrome tank, incorrect headlamp shell and a good few other aberrations to the purists out there. At its core, a solid creature, with the all the advantages of LJ crank and thick-flange barrel, and with a good local reputation for reliability over a lengthy period (often in borrowed hands of visiting friends). But incorrect for all that, which I was perfectly happy to reflect in the value.
The new owner is an ideal one for it – he doesn't want 'shiny shiny original original'; he wants function over form and a bike you can use every day knowing it will start and run, not *** oil out and that it will handle nicely. New TT100 one end, new Road Rider on a stainless rim the other. A bike that could be made 'correct' by stages if anyone wanted to go that way and had the ££, but in no need of anything much in terms of rideability. Half an hour's test run reinforced his almost carnal desire to possess the thing and the deal was struck.
So now I don't have any BSAs. My B31 went a while ago, to another local friend. So I'm left with my first loves, AMC Twins, a couple of Notruns (that do), and a baby LE Velocette for going to the baker's on. Plus a 20-year old XJR Yam for the rare occasions when I feel like using my left foot to change gear and am in a hurry.
It remains to be seen whether (or how badly rather) I'll miss the A, but so far, withdrawal symptoms have thankfully been limited.
So maybe the timing was right  . . . .
Bill

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Confession Time
« Reply #1 on: 16.05. 2021 08:23 »
Will be seeing him and the bike on a future Rallye Internationale at Luc-sur-Mer then?

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #2 on: 16.05. 2021 08:48 »
Gosh. Great confession Bill, so long as your sage advice continues on this forum we will cope with your more spacious garage. I've had mine since 1989 (?) and it's a complete bitsa like yours was. There are days when i feel like moving on but not done it yet. It does mean of course you will pine for working and improving these "charming" engines so just so you know mine is available for fettling at any time!
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.05. 2021 09:46 »
I'm not sure your allowed in here without an A series BSA.  *contract*

[Whispers] Psst, I've left the back door unlocked  *whistle*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.05. 2021 10:41 »
Will be seeing him and the bike on a future Rallye Internationale at Luc-sur-Mer then?
Ha! Probably Rex, if we can ever get things back to 'normal' on that front and folk from afar can be bothered with the paperwork for foreign travel. We MAY be having one this year in fact, but as we haven't been able to have any meetings to organise stuff, I have a feeling it'll be a modest affair if it happens. (See web site for any info.)
Smaller clubs with a lower profile have managed to do a few things, but a club based in the middle of a town and very visible can't mess about. Had a couple of runs, no coffee stops etc etc and socially distanced and all that (in plain air, on a bike?? . . . yeah, oh well) but 'snot been the same obviously. Very much hoping to get some of a summer in this year, but also have nearly 2 years of catch-up on family stuff now, which the memsahib is determined is going to swallow up a lot of our time. Grannies and grandchildren  . . . love 'em as we do of course! Has been a bit of a downer for ex-pats everywhere I think, but no worse than not being able to see a spouse or a relative or friend locked up in a care home.
Was semi-wanting to get down to Spain for one of the big events there this September on whatever, to hurtle round the mountains like a hooligan, but it's all too 'in the air' really. So here's to 2022 if we all live so long! Bars & cafés open tomorrow for outdoors slurping, so that at least is something  . . . if it doesn't rain cats and dogs.
Bill

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.05. 2021 10:44 »
I'm not sure your allowed in here without an A series BSA.  *contract*

[Whispers] Psst, I've left the back door unlocked  *whistle*

Long as you don't change the locks, got a key anyway GB!
Bill

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.05. 2021 10:54 »
It does mean of course you will pine for working and improving these "charming" engines so just so you know mine is available for fettling at any time!
Funny thing is Jim, I know - genuinely - bugger all about A10s. Like 'em well, and the oily bits I'm happy with on anything pretty much, but I couldn't tell you the difference between one model and another or one year from another apart from a few of the blindingly obvious things.
Talking to the other mate who has my old B31 (and a load of Beesas of the twin cyl variety, A7SS, GF etc etc) the other day, turns out it was originally a B33 - and I never knew! The dating cert from the BSAOC said sold to the British Army in South Africa, and fitted with an (alternator) engine of the period  . . . and I never looked into it any further 'cos I wasn't really bothered one way or another. Took a bloke in another country to do the homework and discover all the incorrect things - same as it will for the A if the new guy wants to get into all that! Key thing is not to make any claims of course - which I studiously avoid at all times, unless I KNOW. Which with some of my others I do, thanks to fat files that came with, and original dox.
Bill

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 16.05. 2021 16:19 »
Our Gold Flash was absolutely original, even down to the gold paint when we bought it. £42 well spent. It's no longer original but is now the way we like it after almost 50 years of ownership. This morning I had to go to the regional vaccination centre for my second jag, a 50 mile round trip. One of these appointments where you really needed to turn up on time. Drive the Subaru? Nah, I rode the A10. What a lovely, solid, good handling reliable machine. And just as well I took it, the tail back of cars to get into the centre was astonishing. Full advantage of being on a bike was taken. The steward at the gate came over and promised to look after it when I parked, others just came and admired it.
It's not for sale!   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 16.05. 2021 20:08 »
Groily (Bill),

Selfishly disturbed by your sale of the A10. No way do I want our longtime (that is, my own and the forum-at-large) friendly relationship to be diminished by your absence. Please stay in the mix. We need you.

Best regards, Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 17.05. 2021 06:58 »
Richard,
I've always enjoyed being part of this little corner of the online word, almost from its inception, and unless ownership be considered a prerequisite (which I know it bain't) I wasn't thinking of drifting off into the sunset just yet. That'll come soon enough through the passing of the years, but I like it here - so with your collective consent I shall continue poking my nose in as part of my daily online routine!
Best to all,
Bill
Bill

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 24.05. 2021 20:51 »
Richard,
I've always enjoyed being part of this little corner of the online word, almost from its inception, and unless ownership be considered a prerequisite (which I know it bain't) I wasn't thinking of drifting off into the sunset just yet. That'll come soon enough through the passing of the years, but I like it here - so with your collective consent I shall continue poking my nose in as part of my daily online routine!
Best to all,
Bill

That's a relief, I have really appreciated your wise input on my own issues.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR