Author Topic: Rebuild so far  (Read 829 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Rebuild so far
« on: 18.05. 2021 21:35 »
Got an hour this morning before work so took a bench into the garden (wife has new puppy which likes to be with me, unsafe in the garage)
Proceeded to install the new +040 IMD pistons on the rods. First circlip as soon as I applied any pressure, yep pinged off to God knows where... Bugger!
Started to install another one of the remaining 3, assuming the first one was gone forever and resigning myself to reusing an old one. Found the best way to install these awkward blighters is to just push the first one down the hole in the piston edge first then turn it once it's in, then use a gudgeon pin to seat it in the grove, install the pin and rod then with a pair of long nose pliers and a piece of tape stuck to the clip, seat as much of the clip in the grove as you can, then use a gudgeon pin to push the clip home. Made it really easy and if the clip pinged off again it would have a piece of tape stuck to it to slow it down and make it easier to find in the grass.
After trying an old circlip in there was too much sideways movement in the pin so had to start looking in the grass for the lost one. I decided to start at the far corner of the garden(had to start somewhere, and I had no idea which way it had flown) weird thing is, as soon as I looked down... There it was.
So now pistons installed on rods, rods onto the crank, crank into the cases, along with the cam and copious amounts of oil on all the bearing surfaces, cases done up, crank end float rechecked... 0.03mm ( just a gnats sneeze over one thou) result!
Tomorrow the timing gears etc.
Thanks all who've advised and helped.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rebuild so far
« Reply #1 on: 18.05. 2021 21:44 »
Got an hour this morning before work so took a bench into the garden (wife has new puppy which likes to be with me, unsafe in the garage)
Proceeded to install the new +040 IMD pistons on the rods. First circlip as soon as I applied any pressure, yep pinged off to God knows where... Bugger!
Started to install another one of the remaining 3, assuming the first one was gone forever and resigning myself to reusing an old one. Found the best way to install these awkward blighters is to just push the first one down the hole in the piston edge first then turn it once it's in, then use a gudgeon pin to seat it in the grove, install the pin and rod then with a pair of long nose pliers and a piece of tape stuck to the clip, seat as much of the clip in the grove as you can, then use a gudgeon pin to push the clip home. Made it really easy and if the clip pinged off again it would have a piece of tape stuck to it to slow it down and make it easier to find in the grass.
After trying an old circlip in there was too much sideways movement in the pin so had to start looking in the grass for the lost one. I decided to start at the far corner of the garden(had to start somewhere, and I had no idea which way it had flown) weird thing is, as soon as I looked down... There it was.
So now pistons installed on rods, rods onto the crank, crank into the cases, along with the cam and copious amounts of oil on all the bearing surfaces, cases done up, crank end float rechecked... 0.03mm ( just a gnats sneeze over one thou) result!
Tomorrow the timing gears etc.
Thanks all who've advised and helped.
Jase

If you had re-used a circlip you would have got told off by the forum residents !  *eek*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 18.05. 2021 22:37 »
Good work!

ps, remembering when I lost a circlip into the crank.... After that understood why some old rags are deemed important tools.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.05. 2021 22:55 »
After finding a piston circlip IN THE GARDEN (FFS! ) I reckon you should buy a lottery ticket.
😊
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 18.05. 2021 23:39 »
After finding a piston circlip IN THE GARDEN (FFS! ) I reckon you should buy a lottery ticket.
😊

I know, and on top of this, yesterday Mrs Minto had for the first time ever, mowed the lawn. Really, what are the odds?
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #5 on: 19.05. 2021 00:25 »
I'd have more chance of finding the clip than Mrs Woz doing the mowing..  *pull hair out*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 19.05. 2021 08:30 »
Thought you were going to say the pup brought the clip back. I can't find stuff in the garage when I drop it at my feet.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #7 on: 19.05. 2021 09:54 »
Butch i am the same, i wonder where the dropped item is and two minutes later it is there like magic. i lost a clip for the yonda carb hoses the other day and had looked everywhere. they are a big thing to lose, i was talking to a mate about it who lent me a  big cooling fan to keep the yonda cool while setting the carbs up. he just said "is that it on the control knob of the fan?"  *pull hair out*, i lost a tiny screw in the lawn and luckily a very powerful magnet  zipped it in with a nice sounding click on the magnet, otherwise i think it would be another lost item! i also lost a wheel spindle spacer for the yonda and looked everywhere on and off for two weeks and ended up buying another. one day while working on the lathe i found it amongst a box of turnings. then i remembered  i put it on the tray ready to clean it up, i must have knocked it in the box and then forgot ----again!  the worst thing with me now is putting a tool down on the bench and then wondering where it has gone , but it hasn't gone anywhere *bash*

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.05. 2021 10:25 »
....the worst thing with me now is putting a tool down on the bench and then wondering where it has gone , but it hasn't gone anywhere *bash*
Yup, me too  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 19.05. 2021 11:53 »
Seems I'm in good company then. The usual hour in the garage consists of 20 minutes looking for the correct tool or part, 10 minutes fitting or fettling, then a further 20 minutes looking for the tool I've just put down, 5 minutes cursing, 5 minutes contemplating tidying up properly before resigning myself to doing it "tomorrow".
I have a pair of dedicated"garage glasses" can never find them.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #10 on: 19.05. 2021 12:02 »
minto i also have garage glasses but i bet no body except me has a pair of gravy glasses, a few years ago when doing a dinner i took my normal every day glasses off and put on an old pair of reading glasses which now more or less suit reading and distance , i did this while making the gravy so my girlfriend now calls them my gravy glasses *lol*

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 20.05. 2021 19:55 »
Literally spent an hour this morning in the garage, 20 minutes looking for my garage glasses, then 20 minutes looking for the crankshaft pinion nut and washer, found them in the box with the oil pump, obvious really. Duh!
Just about managed to get the sump plate on, timing gears, breather and inner timing cover on before work. Really wanted to get the magneto on as well but found a possible problem.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 21.05. 2021 09:06 »
minto i also have garage glasses but i bet no body except me has a pair of gravy glasses, a few years ago when doing a dinner i took my normal every day glasses off and put on an old pair of reading glasses which now more or less suit reading and distance , i did this while making the gravy so my girlfriend now calls them my gravy glasses *lol*

Not sure about gravy glasses but I've got some very effective beer goggles!  *beer*
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum